Month: July 2019

Suffered an Injury or Side Effect after Dermal Fillers?

Have you suffered an injury or side effect after Dermal Fillers?


Dermal fillers are becoming increasingly popular among women and men in recent years. They are injections that are used to fill out wrinkles and creases in the skin, as well as to create a fuller appearance of lips and cheeks.

There is a wide range of filler types and brands out there, some are more suitable for certain parts of the face than others so that they provide the best results for that area. Some effects of dermal fillers can last longer than others, the materials used in the different types can last anywhere from a couple of months to permanently, depending on the type of filler.

Collagen – can last 3 – 4 months

Hyaluronic Acid – can last 4 -6 months

Calcium hydroxylapetite – can last up to 18 months

Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLLA) – can last up to 2 years if continuously injected over a long period of time

Polymethylmethacrylate beads (PMMA) – effects can be permanent which can be extremely risky


Side Effects

As with any cosmetic procedure there are risks that come with dermal fillers, especially if the client is looking to achieve permanent or long lasting results. No matter how experienced the aesthetician is, there is no guarantee that the desired effect will be achieved.

Common side effects after having dermal fillers are swelling, slight bruising and redness of the area injected, however these should start to die down within 24 hours of the procedure.

Some of the more serious side effects of dermal fillers that can last up to a number of weeks include:

  • Scarring
  • Allergic Reaction
  • Nerve Damage
  • Lumps under the skin
  • Filler moving from the intended area over time
  • Blocked blood vessels
  • Blurred Vision/Loss of sight

If any of these more serious side effects occur it is important to report back to the aesthetician who carried out the procedure or in more severe cases such as an allergic reaction, blurred vision or a blocked blood vessel, seek immediate medical attention!

If you have suffered from side effects or injury after a dermal filler procedure, you can make a claim for personal injury! At Gowing Law we understand how stressful these injuries and side effects can be and we have a professional and dedicated team ready to advise and support you throughout your claim.

Had an Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye?

Allergic reactions to Hair Dye – Symptoms and Treatments


It is extremely important that hairdressers carry out patch tests on clients before dying hair. It is most likely that when someone has an allergic reaction to hair dye they are actually allergic to one of the chemicals used in the dye. There are three chemicals commonly used in hair dye that can cause reactions to skin, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide and para-phenylenediamine (PPD).

The allergic reaction is caused by contact dermatitis, which as a skin reaction when it comes into contact with the dye. The reaction can cause dryness, redness, irritation and swelling. PPD is a known irritant and allergen and is the main chemical used in most hair dyes and is responsible for most allergic reactions.

Always follow instructions provided when dying hair at home and always be sure to carry out a patch test 48 hours before dying hair, this should be a small patch of dye applied behind the ear or the inner elbow.

Symptoms & Treatments

An allergic reaction to hair dye can vary from mild irritation to much more serious symptoms, symptoms can appear up to 48 hours after contact or stronger irritants can cause a reaction almost immediately.

A mild reaction to PPD in hair dye can cause irritation and inflammation to the scalp, neck, ears or eyelids. The skin that has come into contact with the dye might develop a burning sensation and appear red, swollen and blistered.

The relief mild symptoms of a reaction, make sure the hair is rinsed thoroughly and washed with a very mild shampoo. If the irritation persists steroid cream can be prescribed from a GP or even purchased over the counter in some pharmacies.

A severe reaction to PPD in hair dye can cause the client to go into anaphylactic shock, symptoms of this include:

  • Itchy skin or a raised, red rash
  • Feeling lightheaded
  • Swelling of eyes, lips, hands and feet
  • Mouth, throat or tongue swelling, which can make breathing difficult
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of consciousness

If someone is experiencing a severe allergic reaction they must seek medical attention immediately and 999 should be dialled.


Making a Criminal Injury Claim

What do I need to make a claim for a Criminal Injury


When making a claim for personal injury if you have been the victim of a serious assault it is important that all the relevant details provided are accurate and correct. The attack must have been reported to the police at the time of the incident or shortly after or it cannot be accepted.

When making a claim for criminal injuries it is compulsory to provide the following:


  • The date and location of the crime
  • The name of the police station the crime was reported to
  • Your crime reference number
  • Your GP’s name and surgery address
  • The name and address of your Dental surgery (if you had to have dental treatment as a result of your injuries)
  • Details of any previous claims made to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority
  • Details of any unspent criminal convictions you may have
  • Proof of identity such as a birth certificate


If you knowingly provide incorrect or misleading information you may be prosecuted.


Criminal Injury – What can I claim for?

What can I claim for if I have been the Victim of a Criminal Injury?


If you have been injured as a result of a criminal act you may be able to claim compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). Individuals who make these claims may have been the direct victim of, for example, an assault, sexual abuse or rape. Your injury could also have been sustained when the individual was attempting to help the police after a crime had been committed. Relatives of a person who has died as a result of injuries can also make a claim.

In all cases, incidents must have been reported to the police at the earliest convenience for our solicitors to potentially proceed with your case. Claims for compensation must be made within two years of the date in which the incident took place. However, exceptions are made in some circumstances so we do advice that you speak to our solicitors who may still be able to take on your claim and/or provide you with legal advice.


What you can claim for:

  • Physical injuries
  • Disabling mental injuries
  • Sexual or physical abuse
  • Loss of earnings and expenses


A disabling mental injury is when your injury affects your day-to-day life such as at work or in your relationships. Mental injuries must be diagnosed by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.

You can apply for compensation for loss of earnings or paid expenses if you have had to have any adaptations to your home or mobility aids as a result of your injuries. You can also claim for damage to any physical aids in the attack such as glasses.

To be eligible to claim for loss of earnings or expenses, you must have been employed at the time of the crime or for the 3 years immediately before the accident date. If you were not working, you could still be eligible to claim if you were unable to work, retired, in full time education or a carer for someone. You must have also not been able to work for 28 weeks or longer to be eligible.


While it is possible to make a claim with CICA yourself, Gowing Law will make sure that you recover the maximum compensation possible under the terms of the Scheme. All our claims are funded by a no win no fee basis, so there is nothing to pay in the event that your application is unsuccessful. In the event that your application is successful, your contribution will be capped at 25%. There is NO requirement for ATE or any other similar insurance for CICA cases

At Gowing Law we have a dedicated and sympathetic team ready to advise you. Call our team on 0161 464 4444 for advice about making a claim today!

Been involved in an Accident on Public Transport?

Have you been injured as a passenger on Public Transport?


As a customer travelling on public transport you are trusting the driver of the vehicle with your safety. There are a number of health and safety rules in place on public transport to ensure the safety and well-being of all passengers, however unfortunately accidents do still occur. Here’s a few examples of accidents that can cause injuries on the most commonly used modes of public transport.



The chances of being injured if involved in an accident on a bus are higher as it is not a legal requirement for them to have seatbelts for passengers. As buses are on the road they can easily be involved in collisions with other vehicles which can jolt passengers out of their seats, causing injuries.

You can be injured on a bus as a result of an accident not involving a collision with another vehicle, such as if the bus driver brakes suddenly or is driving recklessly as these actions can cause passengers to be thrown from their seats or fall over if they are standing or have not yet reached their seat after getting on the bus.

If you’ve been involved in an accident on a bus be sure to let the bus driver know you have been injured. Make sure to obtain the registration of the bus you were travelling on as well as the registrations of any other vehicles involved if possible. Make a note of the bus number and if possible the location of the accident. We do also ask that you keep hold of the bus ticket or bus pass used on the journey when the accident occurred.



Accidents on trains are less common but do still happen, these can be as a result of hazards on the trains or crashes caused by debris on the tracks or a drivers error. It is important that potential hazards are all clearly signposted for people to see such as if there is a big step down from the train to the platform and making sure people can clearly see restrictions of the platform of where is and isn’t safe to stand. Injuries can happen on trains due to technical faults such as emergency breaks activating or faulty doors trapping people in them. Defective or damaged components on trains can also cause injury such as sharp protruding objects or damaged seats.

If you’ve been injured make sure a formal report is made in the accident book, there should be one in every train station. If injured on a train be sure to make a note of which train you were traveling on, where you got on it at which time and where it was going, as well as the rail company. Also be sure to take photos if injuries were as a result of defective components.



When you are a passenger in a taxi, you expect the driver of the vehicle to drive safely and follow the rules of the road, as they are responsible for your safety. If you are injured in an accident as a passenger in a taxi, you have every right to make a claim for personal injury.

Make sure that the driver is aware you have been injured, take note of the registration of the vehicle you are in as well as the driver number, name and taxi company. Try to make a note of the accident location and if possible take photos as evidence. If the accident was the fault of another vehicle try to obtain their registration and driver name.


If you’ve been injured in an accident travelling on public transport in the last 3 years, call our team at Gowing Law today on 0161 464 4444!

Been involved in a Cycling Accident?

What to do if you’ve been involved in a Cycling Accident 


The roads can be very dangerous for cyclists, unfortunately accidents occur involving cyclists and motorists on a regular basis, some of these accidents can result in serious injuries for the rider as well as irrepairable damage to the bike. Although most cyclists know the rules of the road they may not know what to do if involved in a road traffic accident, especially if they don’t drive.


We have put together a guide to inform cyclists what to do in the event of a road traffic accident.

  • If you have suffered serious injuries or been knocked unconscious ensure you seek the necessary immediate medical attention such as a paramedic.
  • Identify who was at fault for the accident and what happened, make sure to get the details of the defendant such as their name and registration. A description of the vehicle and driver is also useful if you are unable to obtain specific details.
  • Check for any witnesses and obtain their names and contact details before they leave the scene of the accident.
  • Wait for police to attend the scene so that a full report can be filed. Even if the accident is minor as injuries might not be apparent for a few hours and then it will be too late to identify the defendant if you did not take details yourself.
  • Be sure to take photographs if possible of the damage to both your bike and any vehicles involved. Also try to take photos of the location where the accident occurred and injuries sustained. It is recommended that cyclists use dashcams or Go Pros either on their bikes or helmets to provide evidence if they are involved in an accident.
  • Take photographs of any damaged property such as your phone as these can be claimed for as damages if presented with a receipt of purchase. Also remember after an accident a new cycle helmet should be purchased!
  • Even if you didn’t experience any immediate injuries such as cuts or bruises you should still visit your GP or walk in centre as some injuries can take a few hours to become apparent such as back, shoulder and neck pain.
  • Finally, call Gowing Law on 0161 464 4444 to start your claim for personal injury!

Cyclist Safety Tips

Road Safety Tips for Cyclists 


Protective clothing

Cyclists should wear a correctly fitting helmet to minimise the risk of a serious head injury if they come off their bike. Wearing light coloured or fluorescent clothing can make it easier to be seen by other road users in both the dark and daylight.

Lights and Reflective Gear

At night cyclists MUST have red rear lights and white front lights lit as well as a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors. As well as using reflectors to be seen cyclists can use lights on their bikes, although if cycling in an area with no street lights it is recommended that a steady front lamp is used rather than a flashing light, as not to dazzle other road users.

Cyclists on Pavements

There is often a lot of confusion around the subject of whether cyclists are permitted to cycle on pavements or not. According to section 64 of The Highway Code “According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement“.

Alcohol and Drugs

If a cyclist is deemed to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol to the extent where they are incapable of having proper control of their bike they can be given a fine of up to £1000 if they are cycling on a road or other public place.

Additional Tips

  • Make sure you signal clearly so motorists know where you are going
  • Use a bell to make pedestrians aware of your presence
  • Reduce speed and take into account stopping distance when roads are wet
  • Try to make eye contact with drivers at junctions and roundabouts so you know you’ve been seen
  • Be sure to give plenty of room when riding past parked cars in case someone opens the door without looking

Gowing Law Personal Injury Jargon Buster

Personal Injury Terminology Explained!


At Gowing Law Solicitors we aim to ensure that your claim process is quick, straight forward and hassle free. We understand that the terminology used in the claims process can be sometimes confusing and frightening to some and this can be off putting in terms of bringing a claim forward. To address these confusions, we have put together a jargon buster for you to refer to, to make things a bit clearer!


ATE Insurance

ATE insurance stands for “after the event” insurance. It is an optional insurance policy that you can take out after the accident has happened and you have decided to bring a claim for personal injury. If you lose your claim this policy will ensure that you are not left with any outstanding costs.

Limitation Period

This is the period of time within which you can bring a claim. The limitation period for a personal injury claim is three years from the date of the accident. If a minor is involved in an accident they can also claim, however if the litigation friend chooses not to bring a claim for the minor at the time of the accident the child will still have 3 years from the date of their 18th birthday to bring their own claim forward.

Success Fee

A success fee is a percentage of your compensation that is deducted by us if your case wins. Our success fee is capped at 25% of the compensation you are awarded. This is to cover legal costs accrued when running your claim. 

Litigation Friend

A litigation friend is a suitable person over the age of 18 chosen to represent a “protected party” such as a minor or a vulnerable adult.


An admission is when one party agrees that something the other party has said is true. This is often a term used when the Defendant accepts blame for the accident i.e. “admission of liability”.

Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) – No Win No Fee

A CFA  is otherwise known as a No Win No Fee agreement, this means if your case was to lose you should not have to pay your solicitors fees. Entering into a No Win No Fee agreement will mean that there is nothing for you to pay upfront and if your claim is successful you will pay no more than 25% of the amount you are awarded as our success fee. 


Admitting liability means you are accepting being legally responsible for something.


If you have any queries about the terminology used when bringing a claim give our team a call on 0161 464 4444 and we will be happy to help!

Hair & Beauty Claims – FAQ’s

Hair and Beauty Claims – Your Frequently Asked Questions Answered


Some people may be unaware that they can bring a claim for personal injury against a salon, hairdresser or beautician if a treatment has left them with an injury or damaged hair. Head over to our previous Hair and Beauty Claims post to read the different kind of damages and injuries you can claim for! Here we answer your frequently asked questions about bringing a hair and beauty claim.



Will it cost me anything?

No, we operate all of our claims on a No win No Fee basis. This means that if your claim is unsuccessful then you should not be charged anything. The No Win No Fee arrangement will mean that there is nothing for you to pay upfront and, if your claim is successful, you will pay no more than 25% of the amount you are awarded.

How much compensation will I get?

If you are claiming for hair damage we will arrange an appointment with a hair and scalp specialist (Trichologist) on your behalf. The specialist will evaluate the severity of the damage to your hair or scalp and then determine the period of time it will take for your hair to return to its prior length or condition. We will then use the Trichologist report to calculate the amount of compensation we believe you should receive.

If you are claiming for skin damage after a procedure, we will arrange an appointment with a skin specialist to assess the damage. The specialist will then prepare a report to evaluate the severity of the damage and in some cases may recommend further treatment if necessary. We will then use this report to calculate the amount of compensation we believe you should be awarded.

Will I have to provide photographs?

We will require you to send before and after photographs of hair damage as well as photos of any injuries or scarring. We understand that some injury photos may be intimate (such as a waxing or laser hair removal injury) we have a team of highly qualified and experienced female solicitors upon request of the client to deal with both intimate and general hair and beauty claims who will handle all cases with confidentiality and professionalism to ensure our clients feel at ease and comfortable with their claim.

Is there a time limit for bringing a claim?

You have 3 years from the date of the incident to bring a claim for injury or hair damage after a hair or beauty treatment

Can I claim against a mobile hairdresser?

When bringing a claim for hair damage or personal injury the claim is against the insurance of the salon. There is no legal requirement for mobile hairdressers to have insurance, unless they have employees working for them, then by law they must have employers liability insurance. If you were to attempt to bring a claim against a mobile hairdresser who has no insurance we would send a letter of claim to the individual, it is unlikely that the individual would be able to afford to pay the client compensation so it’s always best to check your mobile hairdresser has insurance before booking an appointment!

Road Traffic Accidents FAQ’s

Road Traffic Accidents – your Frequently Asked Questions Answered



Being involved in a road traffic accident can be very distressing for all those involved, if the individuals in the vehicle not at fault have been injured in the accident they are entitled to make a claim for compensation for their injuries whether they are the driver or a passenger. Bringing a claim for personal injury can be intimidating, especially if the claimant has never experienced the process before.

Here are some of our frequently asked questions to reduce apprehensions about bringing a claim for personal injury after being involved in a road traffic accident.


Is there a time limit for bringing a claim?

If you’ve been involved in an accident, you have 3 years from the date of the accident to make a claim for personal injury. If a minor is involved in an accident they can also claim, however if the litigation friend chooses not to bring a claim for the minor at the time of the accident the child will still have 3 years from the date of their 18th birthday to bring their own claim forward.

I was a passenger, can I make a claim?

Yes, if you were involved in an accident as a passenger you can make a claim for personal injury whether you were in the fault vehicle or the non-fault vehicle. If you were a passenger in a fault vehicle you will be claiming against the insurance of the driver of the vehicle you were in.

How Much Compensation will I get?

The amount of compensation awarded is dependent on the severity of the pain and suffering you have endured as a result of the accident. We will arrange a questionnaire based medical appointment with a doctor to discuss the injuries that you sustained from the accident, these appointments usually last around 10 minutes. They will then write up a report confirming the injuries you have and how long they predict the injuries will last for. The medical expert will also let us know if they recommend any further treatment for the claimant, such as physio. We will then use this report to value how much your claim is worth based on the severity, how long it is expected to last for and if further treatment is required.

Will I have to pay anything?

No, we operate all of our claims on a No win No Fee basis. This means that if your claim is unsuccessful then you should not be charged anything. The No Win No Fee arrangement will mean that there is nothing for you to pay upfront and, if your claim is successful, you will pay no more than 25% of the amount you are awarded.

Will it affect my no claims?

No, if you are making a claim for personal injury after being involved in a non-fault accident it will not affect your no claims bonus.

How Long will it take?

Every claim is different due to a variety of factors such as accident circumstances and injuries. Bringing a claim for personal injury on average can take anywhere between 3 months and 6 months to be settled.

Will I have to go to court?

The percentage of cases that end up going to court is very small. Liability is usually admitted early on in the claim process, meaning there is no need to go to court. It is highly unlikely for a case to go to court, however if it does, your solicitor will advise and support you throughout the process.