Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Claiming for an Accident at Work – FAQ’s


Common Workplace accidents

If you’ve been injured in an accident at work, you can claim compensation for your injuries, loss of income and any related expenses incurred as a result of the incident. Accidents can occur in any line of work, from construction sites to offices. Despite employers continually trying to improve working conditions for the safety of employees, accidents do still often occur. Some of the most common accidents that we deal with include:

  • Slips, Trip and Falls
  • Falls from heights
  • Injuries from carrying and lifting heavy objects
  • Injuries obtained due to insufficient training
  • Struck by moving vehicles
  • Injuries from lack of safety equipment or faulty equipment

There are naturally concerns about making a claim for an accident in the workplace, especially if the claimant is still employed where they had the accident. This can often make people hesitant about making a claim. Here are some of our frequently asked questions to reduce apprehensions about making a claim for personal injury after an accident at work.


If I make a claim, could I lose my job?

If you have suffered an injury due to an accident at work, by law you cannot be dismissed for bringing a personal injury claim against your employer. Employers have a duty of care to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of all employees in the workplace. It is essential they provide full training on how to carry out work without risk of injury as well as carrying out risk assessments regularly to ensure procedures and equipment are safe and carry minimal risk of injury.

Will my employer find out?

If you’ve had an accident at work and been injured it should be recorded in the Accident Report Book immediately therefore your employer will already know that the accident has occurred before the claim is brought forward. It is important the accident is recorded so it can be referred back to by the solicitor and employer. The employer can also use the Accident book to identify the cause of the accident and work towards preventing it happening again in the future to other employees. It is not your duty to inform the employer that you are bringing a claim for personal injury, they will be notified by your solicitor via their insurance company.

My accident was the fault of another employee, will they have to pay me?

If your injury is the result of a negligent employee, although it would appear they are at fault for the accident, they would not be required to pay any compensation to you. Employers are responsible for the actions of employees in the work place and this is covered by their Employers Liability Insurance.

The company is no longer in business, can I still claim?

Yes, as long as the employer was insured at the time that the accident happened then you can still claim on that insurance policy. The process may be a little more complicated and take longer to complete, however it is still very much worth pursuing a claim for personal injury against the employer.  


Here at Gowing Law we have a dedicated Employers Liability Team who are highly experienced in dealing with a vast range of accidents at work. If you have had an accident in the course of your employment in the last 3 years call us today on 0161 464 4444 for further queries and advice on making a claim for an accident at work.

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
12th Floor, St. James’s Tower, 7 Charlotte Street, Manchester M1 4DZ
We're here to help!