Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Housing Disrepairs Header

Now that Christmas is approaching, it is crucial that you keep your house in a comfortable state for you and your family to enjoy. Winter storms have finally hit the UK and we are going to have to prepare ourselves for the cold weather ahead. The last thing you need coming up to Christmas is for the piping of your house to break down. The sanitation of your council house or property from the housing association is crucial when it comes to the health of you and your family. Your landlord should come around to have the problem fixed as quickly as possible. If they fail to do this then they could be guilty of negligence. This is when your housing disrepairs need to be taken to the next level. You need to get started on your housing disrepair claim.

Gowing Law Solicitors can help you with your housing disrepairs this Christmas season. That way you can feel comfortable when Christmas arrives. You don’t have to feel worried that your disrepairs will ruin your holiday season. Instead, Gowing Law can get you the help when you need it most. Call us on 08000418350 or use our website below:

Housing Disrepairs Website

What do I need to know about Housing Disrepairs?

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we are determined to help you with any type of housing disrepair claim. Sanitation issues are serious problems that need to be sorted out by your landlord as quickly as possible. If they fail to do this then you should make a housing disrepair claim. Your landlord is responsible for the upkeep of the majority of your council house or property from the housing association. Your landlord should be providing a report every 5 years or when they have new tenants in their rented property. This includes:

Landlord responsibilities for Housing Disrepairs

Your landlord needs to be regularly checking up on the essential structures, gardens and any balconies that are a part of your home. If they fail to do this then they could be guilty of negligence. Negligence comes in many shapes and forms when it comes to housing disrepairs. However, you should give your landlord enough notice to get the disrepair fixed for you. This should be around about a month. With that said, you should follow this process to ensure that any disrepairs are sorted by your landlord:

Housing Disrepairs assistance

Housing Disrepairs: Landlords & Negligence

It’s crucial that you understand that your landlord is responsible for the majority of the upkeep of your house. Of course, you need to keep your house in a tidy and clean condition to ensure that you are not responsible for any disrepairs. However, your landlord should be keeping an eye on your property to ensure that it is kept in a good condition.

When your house is in disrepair, you landlord needs to take your complaint seriously and send an engineer around to have the damages sorted out. If you fail to do this then you could be suffering from their “negligence.” They owe you a duty of care. Therefore, if they fail to help you, you could be liable for any damages that you experienced.

Some examples of negligence from your landlord includes:

  • Ignoring your complaints and requests for repairs
  • Trying to fix your disrepairs cheaply and making them worse
  • Getting angry or violent with you because of the disrepairs
  • Demanding that you pay for your disrepairs

If you experience any of these types of negligence, it’s crucial that you speak to a solicitor as quickly as possible. That way you can get started on your housing disrepair claim and the disrepairs won’t interfere with your Christmas holidays.

Negligence and housing disrepairs

Housing Disrepairs, Blocked Piping and Sanitation: What is the problem?

Sanitation is crucial when it comes to the health and safety of your family. Your house should have a range of pipes through your floors and walls that hook up to your boiler and other areas of essential equipment, such as your toilet, bath and sink. Should these pipes get blocked, it’s likely that you will be unable to use the essential equipment because they will not be able to drain properly. Instead, they may back up and flood your house with dirty water and liquidated rubbish. This can put the health of your family at risk because it could spread diseases.

It may also destroy furniture in your house if it is near the flooded area. You may also find that gutters and drains become blocked due to leaves, grass, trash or mud. This could mean that your garden or the outside of your home becomes flooded.

Ultimately, these types of blocked pipes and sanitation equipment can cause structural issues to your house. It may lead to cracks or broken pipes if they split due to the pressure. Your landlord will have to get involved to get the disrepairs solved as soon as possible. If they fail to do so, you need to start looking into housing disrepair claims.

Dirty Water & Housing Disrepairs

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that your house has a supply of fresh water to your sinks, toilets, bath tub and shower. This means that your drains and plumbing system needs to be able to provide you fresh water as well as take any dirty water away from your house through pipe systems.

Dirty water can spread disease and can make your house feel extremely unclean, especially if it floods and spreads all over the floor. You may get an infection if you are exposed to the germs within the water, especially if you end up drinking it or wading through it barefoot. Some of the most common forms of disrepairs for dirty water include:

  • Clogged sinks
  • Stale water in un-flushing toilets
  • Flooded drains
  • Broken pipes flooding down the walls

There are times where you may unfortunately be responsible for the blockages. You may have accidently flushed some wet wipes that caused a blockage. It could even be your hair getting clogged in the shower drain. A small problem could turn into a larger problem if it is left. So, make sure to inform your landlord about the disrepair as quickly as possible.

When to make a housing disrepair claim

What else can cause blocked pipes in your council house?

A blocked pipe can occur in your house and on the outside of your house. It’s important to check the ground around your house to see if the weather has disturbed it. You should also take a look at the pipes to see if they have been blocked or broken. Keep an eye out for:

  • Uneven pavement
  • Any damage to walls or patios
  • Subsidence or landslides
  • Any damage to your full housing

Blocked piping can also be caused by natural flora or trees. Their roots can end up destroying piping. Some plants can even grow inside or around the pipes. Keep an eye on them and make sure to check around the house for cracks, leaks and stains on your wall and floor. That way you can locate the leak and take note of where the damages actually are in your home.

How could I be eligible for a housing disrepair claim with blocked piping?

When it comes to any type of housing disrepair, the first thing you should be focusing on is the disrepair in general. Your landlord is legally required to get your disrepair sorted so you can live in a comfortable house. That means if they fail to do this, then they could be liable for any damages that you experience. If they fail to do this, your solicitor will need to be there to confront them on this issue. However, you may also be owed compensation for any additional damages that you may experience. This includes:

  • Personal injuries
  • Inconvenience
  • Damage to belongings

For blocked piping claims in general, the triage assessor we send over will look over your pipes and sanitation units. They need to send over a drainage report to let you know whether or not they need some repair work.

We would recommend that you provide use the following details:

What do I need to know if I am going to make a plumbing disrepair

It’s crucial that your landlord takes in all of these issues before they do their repair work. The triage assessor can supervise them and ensure that you get the right help for your accommodation. At the same time, your solicitor will work with you to ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve. Keep in mind that you will be required to provide evidence for your claim. This includes photographs, videos, witness statements and receipts. Your solicitor could help you claim up to £20,000 in damages when you get started on your case. You should expect the following process to take place if you decide to make a housing disrepair claim:

Triage Assessor Assistance

Your solicitor can provide you with advice about your claim and speak to your landlord on your behalf. That way if you are feeling nervous about speaking to your landlord, your lawyer can do it for you. You can let them help you with all the tricky paperwork and ensure that your disrepairs don’t get them any worse. Instead, you can relax and make sure you enjoy the holiday season without worrying about housing disrepairs.

Gowing Law Solicitors can help with housing disrepairs

Housing Disrepairs Website

Don’t forget that if you are suffering from housing disrepairs, Gowing Law Solicitors can help. We are determined to ensure that your house is comfortable for Christmas. That way you can relax and enjoy a fun time with your family. You will not need to worry about the state of your house. Instead, you can just enjoy the time together with your loved ones. For free advice about your housing disrepair claim, you can talk to one of Gowing Law’s expert solicitors in a personalized consultation. Our specialists will work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will never have to pay any fees and will always come out on top. So, what’s stopping you from contacting us? Nothing! It’s time to get started on your case.

Speak to Gowing Law Solicitors today by calling 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claims checker. Feel free to ask our solicitors any questions that may come to your mind. The specialists at Gowing Law would be more than happy to assist you, So sit back, relax and let them sort out your claim for you.

Learn more about blocked piping and housing disrepairs

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Not only can Gowing Law Solicitors help with your housing disrepairs, our blogs offers advice on how to move forward with your claim. We update it every week with brand new content. This includes information about our law firm, UK legal claims, seasonal events, competitions and the occasional giveaway. You can suggest blog topics to our website by writing into Feel free to also sign up to our newsletter by clicking on the button below:

Make sure to also follow our social media channels to see our latest interactive content. You can click the buttons below to visit our Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Happy Christmas and good luck with your disrepairs!

Read our previous blog button

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!