Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Housing Disrepairs Header

It’s the Christmas season and Gowing Law Solicitors wants to make sure you have a comfortable Christmas. As winter brings in the snow, and you consider whether or not you are going to have a Christmas party, it’s important that you have a house that you can go in to relax and rest. If there are disrepairs in your home, your Christmas is going to end up getting pretty uncomfortable. It is up to your landlord to ensure that you are happy in the accommodation you have rented out. That means if your house is suffering from housing disrepairs, your landlord needs to get them sorted out as quickly as possible. This includes replacing essential equipment if it breaks down. If your landlord refuses to do this, it may be time to make a housing disrepair claim.

Find out more about how Gowing Law Solicitors can help you by calling 0800 041 8350 or by visiting our website below:

Housing Disrepairs Website

What do I need to know about Housing Disrepairs?

One of the main things you need to understand about Housing Disrepair Claims is that they are there to protect you when your landlord is acting negligently. When you entered into your council house or accommodation from the housing association, you formed a contact with your landlord to ensure that you are kept safe in your home. You have the following rights when you move into a property as a tenant:

The rights of a tenant for housing disrepairs

Your landlord has a responsibility to look after you and your family. They owe you a “duty of care” and therefore need to ensure that your house is kept safe and accommodating for you and anyone else in the property. If any of the essential equipment does break down, they need to fix it or else it may pose a threat to the safe of you and your family. Keep an eye out of any extra signs of negligence that could make your landlord liable for these breakdowns:

Landlord Negligence for Housing Disrepairs

If you suffer from the negligence of your landlord, you will need to get started on your housing disrepair claim. Your lawyer will assist you with claiming compensation. During this, a triage assessor will be sent to your home to look over your damages. That way you can get a truly comfortable Christmas period.

Will my house have essential equipment in it?

Housing Disrepairs: What is classified as essential equipment in your home?

When you rent your property from your landlord, they need to provide you with essential equipment to ensure that you and your family are comfortable in the accommodation you are provided. If they fail to do so, or the equipment is damaged, you could put in a complaint to have the items replaced or to have the damages seen to by a repair worker. Some essential items may be equipment, but others are facilities that are necessary to keep your house habitable:

  • Oven
  • Toilet
  • Sinks
  • Boiler
  • Fridge
  • Electricity
  • Piping and Sanitation

The reason that these need to be replaced so fast is that they could cause extreme problems in your house if they malfunction. This includes fires, flooding, cold and even more dangerous injuries. Your landlord should be focusing on getting the disrepairs sorted from the moment you report them. Although it is important to give them notice about your disrepairs, if you need something replaced, like a piece of essential equipment, your landlord should be looking for it. That way your family will not be put in danger.

Housing Disrepairs: How is my compensation measured for a claim about broken essential equipment?

When you make a Housing Disrepair Claim for broken essential equipment, you are doing it to get it replaced or fixed. Unfortunately, in some cases, your landlord may have acted negligently and you could have got hurt because of their actions. That’s why it’s crucial that you get the equipment fixed as quickly as possible. You could be owed up to around £20,000 for your disrepair, however it will be based on a number of issues:

How will my damages be calculated

If there is damaged equipment in your home, it’s very likely that you will be unable to function properly in the property. Let’s say that your oven was broken. You may have found it impossible to cook on without worrying it would cause a gas leak or a fire. Your oven may also simply not switch on. Therefore, you may be forced to go to other people’s homes to cook or you may get takeaways. This could cause financial problems and general inconvenience. This means that you could claim compensation for the housing disrepairs you have suffered.

It’s important that you have evidence to prove that you have suffered due to the broken essential equipment in your home. Make sure to take pictures and videos. You can also use receipts and witness statements as evidence of any additional housing disrepairs that have occurred. Your lawyer can use this to assist with your compensation claim. Your triage assessor can also take a look at the photos before visiting your home to understand the extent of your damages for themselves before they make their report.

Gowing Law Solicitors can help with Housing Disrepair Claims about Broken Essential Equipment

Housing Disrepairs Website

Don’t forget that Gowing Law is here to help you with your Housing Disrepair Claim. You don’t deserve to live in a house that is full of broken essential equipment. This could ruin your holiday season when you should really be relaxing. It’s time to let Gowing Law ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve. Broken essential equipment can make your house completely uninhabitable. That’s why it’s time to start with your case. Gowing Law can prove you free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your case, we can work with you on a “no win- no fee” case. That means you will never have to pay any hidden fees. Instead, you will only need to pay your solicitor if they win your case for you. Therefore, you will always come out on top.

Find out how Gowing Law Solicitors can help by calling 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claim’s checker. One of our specialists will then be in contact to answer any additional questions that you may have.

Learn more about Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law's Blog Button

It’s important that you understand as much as possible about making a housing disrepair claim. That’s why you can find a lot of information about these types of cases on our law firm’s website. We update it regularly with brand new content about legal claims, our law firm, the occasional giveaway or competition, as well as the occasional campaign about a range of different topics. If you would like to see a certain topic addressed on our blog, you can send it into You can also sign up to our newsletter:

Make sure to also take a look at our social media pages below. That way you can find out more about what our law firm has been up to. You can also take a look at our interactive content, including our latest videos.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Read our previous blog button

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!