Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Housing Disrepairs Header

It’s the Christmas season! As we approach the end of the year, it’s important that we take a moment to relax and enjoy winter as a time of rest. It’s been a very hard year and it’s time for you to unwind and recharge your batteries. The last thing you want to deal with during the cold winter season is a housing disrepair. Not only do you have to come to terms with the pandemic and the freezing weather, but now you need to think about how you are going to get your landlord to fix the housing disrepairs.

Mould and damp are notorious types of housing disrepairs. You will need your landlord’s help to get either of these types of housing disrepairs sorted. If it is left unchecked, mould and damp are likely to spread through your home. This could end up ruining your Christmas, and that’s the last thing our law firm wants!

It’s time for you to enjoy a cozy Christmas inside of your home. Gowing Law Solicitors can assist you with any types of housing disrepair claims. Not only can we speak to your landlord on your behalf, but we will organize a triage assessor to go over and take a look at your damages. That way you can relax and enjoy your Christmas, and you can let our team of specialists handle the damages within your home. Find out more about how we can help by calling our team on 0161 464 4444 or by visiting our website below.

Happy holidays!

Housing Disrepairs Website

Housing Disrepairs: What is a Housing Disrepair Claim?

A housing disrepair claim is there to protect you if your council house or house from the housing association is suffering from damages. Unfortunately, as quite a high number of council homes were built in the 1960s and 1980s. This means that that time has left them ailing for repairs.

If asbestos was used, it is also likely to make them very dangerous to live in. Mould and damp is very likely to spread in these types of environment. This is due to the fact that the interiors may not have proper insulation, glazed windows or may just have cracks and breaks that may let in the cold winter air.

Your landlord is expected to help you with any disrepairs that appear in your home. If they fail to do this then they could be guilty of negligence. The only reason they may not help or fund the repair work is if you were responsible for the damages yourself. However, if you were not responsible for the damages, you should expect the following process to take place.

Follow this process:

Housing Disrepairs and how to sort them out

Your landlord will need to respond to your disrepair notice in around a month. If they fail to do so then they could be guilty of negligence. This is due to the fact that they have left the disrepair to get worse. Your landlord could also be guilty of negligence if they have:

  • Acted aggressively towards you
  • Ignored your requests for help
  • Attempted to fix your disrepair cheaply and have put you at risk
  • Inadvertently made the disrepair worse
  • Asked you to pay for the disrepair

Should any of the aforementioned acts of negligence happen to you, you should get in contact with Gowing Law Solicitors to start on your housing disrepair claim. Our lawyers are here to help you and will always provide the best advice in relation to your case. Feel free to ask them any questions that may come to mind.

English Housing Survey and Housing Disrepairs

Mould and Damp Housing Disrepairs: How could they affect my house?

Mould and damp can appear anywhere in your home and is known as the most common of the different housing disrepairs. However it is most likely to be in moist, warm sections of the interior. It is usually in an area that has allowed for condensation to settle on your wall’s surface. This means that the area is damp and can lead to fungus growing on your wall.

There are lots of different types of fungus, however the most dangerous is black mould. Mould can allow for spores to be released that can be inhaled by humans. This is extremely bad for those who suffer from breathing problems, such as asthma.

Condensation is usually allowed to appear on surfaces that are made of plaster, wood or are extremely porous. The surfaces tend to be cold but become damp because it is in a hot or humid environment. Rooms that are mostly affected by mould and damp are those that do not have a very good air flow. It may be tightly packed with furniture or may be a naturally humid due to the essential equipment within the room. If you notice mould in the room, it’s important that you aerate the room as quickly as possible. You should also look into buying mould sprays and cleaning products to stop the mould from spreading.

What sort of housing disrepairs could I experience due to mould?

Due to the fact that mould is a fungus, it can spread to a range of interiors inside your home. This includes your floor, walls, windows, doors and anywhere that contains fabric. Unfortunately, it can cause severe damages to both you and your home. That’s why it’s crucial that you get it sorted as quickly as possible. You can prevent mould by:

  • Using mould sprays and cleaning products
  • Allowing the room to aerate after washes and bathing
  • Opening windows to prevent humidity build up
  • Placing humidifiers in different rooms

Unfortunately, in some cases, the mould and damp may be so severe that it simply cannot be removed without professional intervention. If your mould build-up is bad, you may end up experiencing the following damages in your home:

Mould and Damp Housing Disrepairs Infographic

If you notice any dizziness, hallucinations or confusion, it’s important that you get out of the house as quickly as possible. It’s likely that your home suffers from black mould. This type of mould can be toxic and can cause severe personal injuries. Make sure to get mould in your home seen to as quickly as possible. It may even need a specialized fumigation service in your home to make sure that all of the spores have been destroyed. There is a chance that you could also be allergic to the mould. Make sure to wash your hands if you touch it. That way you will not come out in a rash.

When you try to clean up mould, make sure to wear protective equipment during the process. That way you can protect yourself from any spills or fumes that could affect your sight or internal organs. You should wear goggles, gloves and may even need to wear a mask if you are worried about breathing in fumes from the cleaning process.

Mould and Clothes

What type of furniture in my house can be affected by mould and damp?

Unfortunately, if there is furniture or belongings in the room that has been affected by mould, it’s very likely that they will also be affected. Spores travel between cloth-based and porous materials, this includes:

  • Clothing
  • Blankets
  • Towels
  • Posters
  • Fabric posters
  • Rugs
  • Paint

It’s more likely that you will find mould in warmer areas, such as your kitchen, but also in rooms that are more likely to be moister or damp. For instance, the bathroom or a room with large windows. Be careful when you take out washing and leave it in a confined space. It may end up that the room starts to develop mould. You may also need to check cupboards or items that have been left near to mouldy walls. It is more likely that the mould will spread that way. You can detect mould by the feeling of damp in the room and the smell. You should also look for the dark splodges or discoloration on your wall.

Will cleaning destroy the mould?

Who is vulnerable to mould and damp?

When you move into a council house, it’s important that you are able to relax in it with your family. Of course, you may be moving in by yourself, but if you move in with a large group of people then this could put them at risk. The more people in the room means that it’s likely that to increase the amount of humidity that is inside the room. Therefore, the amount of damp will rise, meaning that there is a potential for mould to grow.

The most vulnerable groups of people that could be affected by mould include:

  • Young children
  • Pensioners
  • People who suffer from chronic illness.

If you notice someone coughing blood, finding it hard to breath or are becoming extremely dizzy, we would recommend that you take them to hospital as quickly as possible. They may have had a bad reaction to the mould and may need medical treatment as quickly as possible. This includes being given anti-biotitic or put on a respirator.

Is my landlord responsible for the mould in my home?

Yes, your landlord is responsible for the mould in your home. When they entered into a contract with you, they became responsible for your safety. This is known as a “duty of care”. Ultimately, they need to make sure that your house is habitable for you and your family. If they fail to do this then they will be liable for your damages and will need to pay for your compensation. If the housing disrepair falls into one of these categories, you could be eligible for compensation:

Housing Disrepair Claims Eligibility

There is a chance that the mould and damp in your home could assist you with claiming compensation within all three categories. Not only could it worsen your asthma, which is a personal injury, but it could damage your belongings, due to it spreading, and could also make certain areas of the house inaccessible, meaning that you are suffering from inconvenience. If you have fallen under any of these categories, it’s time for you to look into housing disrepair claims. After all, you could be eligible to make a claim yourself. That way, you can get your disrepairs sorted and get compensation for any additional damages that you have suffered.

Gowing Law can help with Mould and Damp Housing Disrepairs

Housing Disrepairs Website

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we are determined to help you with your housing disrepair claims. If your home is suffering from mould and damp, you should come to our law firm to get the compensation you deserve. We can assist with any tricky paperwork and can speak to your landlord on your behalf. Our lawyers can offer free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your case, our solicitors can help you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always come out on top and never have to pay any hidden fees. Therefore, you will always have a smile on your face this Christmas season.

Don’t delay your housing disrepair claim. Find out how we can help by calling 01614644444, emailing or by using our claims checker. One of our specialists will then be in contact to assist you and answer any additional questions that you may have.

Learn more about Mould, Damp and Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law's Blog Button

During this Christmas season, Gowing Law Solicitors wants to make sure that you have a very cosy home. The last thing that you want to do is deal with a housing disrepair when you are trying to enjoy Christmas. That’s why we would highly recommend that you get in touch with our lawyers to assist with your claim. You can also read our blog to learn the basics of different types of housing disrepairs. We also write about seasonal events, important campaigns, updates about our law firm and the occasional competition/ giveaway. We are going to have a Christmas competition, so make sure to get involved in that!

Let us know if you would like us to write about a certain blog topic by emailing You can also sign up to our newsletter by using the link below and follow our social media pages through the links at the bottom of the page:

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog.

Happy Holidays!

Read our previous blog button

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!