Fill out the form to start your claim today!

When you make a housing disrepair claim, it is due to the fact that your house is suffering from problems that should have been repaired by your landlord. Your landlord is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of your council home. If they have failed to do this, it is very likely that you have become the victim of negligence. That is why you should consider making a claim in order to be awarded compensation.

Even during the lockdown, your landlord should have been keeping an eye on your home. It’s time for you to take back control. Making a claim can feel daunting, but you will feel good knowing that you will be able to get the repairs on your home that you need. You deserve to feel comfortable. That’s why a solicitor from Gowing Law will be there to support you throughout the legal process.

If you are interested in getting started with a Housing Disrepair Claim, our law firm can provide you with free advice and consultations. All you need to do is call us on 0800 041 8350 or click on the button below to visit our website:

Housing Disrepair Disrepair Claim Button

What is a Housing Disrepair Claim?

It can be frustrating to move into your brand new council home, or home from the housing association, and realize that it is in need of repairs. You want to be able to have accommodation that can suit the needs of you and your family. That’s why it can make you feel vulnerable if there is no clear path to fixing the disrepairs, apart from spending your own money. Make sure you do not do this. It is the responsibility of your landlord to pay for any repairs. If they don’t then you could be owed compensation, the amount depending on the effect of the damages upon your quality of life.

If you are feeling a little confused about whether or not you could have a claim, we have created an example below to get a better of idea of what counts as a Housing Disrepair Claim. Take a moment to watch it:

Housing claims GIF

As you can see, John moved into his new home expecting it to be habitable for him (and other family members that would join him.) However, as there were problems with the roof, and the landlord did not fix them, it affected his quality of life and also ruined his belongings. If your case is similar to his then you could be eligible for a claim. After all, your landlord is responsible for the following:

Housing Disrepair Claims Infographic

If your home has suffered from any damages related to the repairs that your landlord is responsible for, it is their duty to have them repaired. It goes against their “duty of care” if they ultimately refuse to do so. This is when you need to start your Housing Disrepair Claim.

How do I know if I am eligible for a Housing Disrepair Claim?

Now that you understand that your landlord is responsible for the maintenance of your council home, it’s time to consider the claims process in general. You may be wondering how you could be eligible for this type of claim. Well, it entirely depends on the damages that you have suffered. If you are living in a home that affects your quality of life, general discomfort or even ends up causing an injury, you could be eligible for compensation. These tend to be rounded off into three categories:

  • Physical Damages: You were hurt due to the disrepair of your home. Injuries could be from faulty wiring, broken flooring, exposed nailing and many other problem.
  • Destroyed Belongings:: If any of your property (such as clothing, technology and valuables) are destroyed due to the disrepair of your home, you could make a claim in order to have them replaced.
  • Inconvenience: If the damages to your home have been impacting your daily schedule, and causing difficulties in actually living in your home, you could make a claim. For instance, if you have been unable to sleep in your bed due to a mould problem, this could affect your sleep cycle and your health.

As you can see, there are a few ways that you could be eligible for compensation. The main way that you will secure your eligibility is if you have suffered from your landlord’s negligence. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the “damages” you have experienced. This includes physical, emotional, technological and financial damages, as well as any losses of opportunity that you may have experienced. Speak to your solicitor to get an estimate about how much you could be owed. That way you can decide for yourself whether or not you want to pursue your case.

Housing Disrepair Claim CounterClaims

How much compensation could I get from a Housing Disrepair Claim?

As we said before, the compensation you receive from a Housing Disrepair Claim will depend on the damages that you have suffered from. Every legal claim is different. Some people may be owed thousands in compensation. This depends on how badly they have been hurt and the type of repairs that are needing to take place. Other people may only receive a small amount of compensation. This is due to the fact that the damages are not that severe. It all depends on the complexity of case. The delays caused by Covid-19, in relation to the repairs of your house, may also play a part in the amount of compensation you receive.

With that said, the best way to find out how much you could be owed is to speak to a solicitor. Gowing Law’s specialists can calculate how much you could claim. That way you can decide whether or not it is worth making the claim. It can also be useful when it comes to your settlement agreement.

Housing Disrepair Claim Time Scheme

Start your Housing Disrepair Claim with Gowing Law Solicitors

Housing Disrepair Disrepair Claim Button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we are proud that we are able to help our clients all over the UK. We know that being the victim of housing disrepairs can leave you feeling vulnerable and uncomfortable. You deserve to feel calm and safe in your home. If this is not the case, it is up to your landlord to fix it. This is where Gowing Law Solicitors can step in to help you. We can offer you free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your claim, we can work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means there will be no hidden fees. You will only need to pay us if we win your case. Therefore, you will always come out on top!

Contact us today by calling 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our self-assessment form. One of our specialists will then be in contact to answer any questions you may have.

Learn more about Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law Blog Button

If you’re interested in learning more about Housing Disrepair Claims, the best place to go is our law blog. We add new content every week and write about different legal claims, seasonal events and updated about our law firm. We also host the occasional competition or giveaway on both our social media and our blog. So keep an eye out so you could win a prize in the future. We also accept topic suggestions for our blog. So, feel free to send in your questions to

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog.

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!