Fill out the form to start your claim today!

By making a housing disrepair claim, you are holding your landlord responsible for any damages that have happened inside your property that they should be paying for. If you are renting your home, it’s your landlord’s responsibility to ensure that it is kept in a good condition. That means if something goes wrong in your home and makes the environment unsafe, they should act quickly to ensure that your safety is prioritized. If your landlord ignores your complaints or refuses to pay for your disrepairs, you could be owed compensation. Living in a house that is dangerous or not fit for people to live in can have a severe impact on your mental health, or even your physical health if you end up getting hurt. That’s why it’s important to understand whether or not you could be eligible for a claim.

Contact Gowing Law Solicitors today to get started on your housing disrepair claim! You can call us on 0161 464 4444 or use the button below to reach out to us:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What is a Housing Disrepair Claim?

If you are renting your house or any other form of accommodation, your landlord will need to make the occasional repair in order to keep it in a safe condition. That way it will be seen as completely suitable to be rented out to the public. It is normal for your rented home to require the occasional repair to make sure you feel comfortable in it. However, in some cases, you may find that your landlord simply refuses to help you. That means you may suffer from discomfort, inconvenience or even financial losses if you try to get it fixed yourself.

It is your landlord’s duty to look after:

Different Repairs GIF

Above you can see some of the main repairs that may be needed to maintain a safe house, however, there are some additional safety requirements your landlord may need to look into it if they have rented their property to you:

  • Fire safety regulations
  • Sanitation, gas, electricity and water installations
  • Mould problems
  • Security requirements

No matter how long you have lived in your property for your landlord owes you a duty of care. That means if your home starts suffering from disrepair, it is their duty to fix it. Unfortunately, in some cases, your landlord may act unreasonable and refuse to do this. This is why you may want to end up making a Housing Disrepair Claim to get compensation for your losses.

Landlord Housing Disrepair Claim help

What could make me eligible for a housing disrepair claim?

Now that you understand what a housing disrepair claim is all about, it’s important that you learn how you could be eligible for a compensation pay-out. Your landlord has a duty of care towards you and any residents that live within their property. Therefore, if the house starts to become unsafe or unliveable, they should be willing to fund any repairs or changes needed to improve the state of the property.

Here are some of the main reasons why you could be eligible for this type of claim:

House Disrepair Claim Infographic

These are only a few examples of how you could be eligible for a housing disrepair claim! However, keep in mind that if you make a claim based on damage belongings, the compensation pay-out you receive will be equal to the cost of replacing or repairing the damaged objects. That means it is likely that you will receive less than you paid for your belongings when they were brand new.

The best way you can see if you are eligible for a claim is to speak to a housing disrepair claims solicitor. We understand that some situations are different to others. For instance, you may have a more complicated situation where your landlord fixed some problems in your home but refused to fix others. Our solicitors at Gowing Law will make sure to offer you personalized advice, so don’t feel worried about asking them questions. They will be there to support you and make sure you feel confident about making your claim.

compensation help with housing disrepair claim

Will I be evicted if I try to make a housing disrepair claim?

No! You will not be asked to leave your home. Your landlord has a “duty of care” towards you. As a member of the Council House tenant or Housing Association tenant, you have the right to have your landlord sort out repairs on your home/rented property. The only reason you would ever be evicted is if you are currently are in arrears. If you do not have a payment plan in place then there is a chance that your landlord could ask you to leave. That’s why it’s worth getting this sorted, even if you are only paying £1 into the plan!

Just keep in mind that if you do decide to leave the property, you will not be able to make a claim. This is because you will have to be living in the building as a tenant if you are looking for compensation.

Pay rent help

What kind of Housing Disrepair Claim can Gowing Law Solicitors help me with?

Having a solicitor help you make a housing disrepair claim can increase the chance of you receiving a higher amount of compensation for any damages you or your property have suffered from the negligence of your landlord. Our solicitors can help you with claims from clients who have struggled with their housing association or council owned property. Unfortunately, we cannot help with private landlord claims. However, if you currently living in a council house, and are struggling to work with your landlord to deal with the disrepairs, our lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve in response to their negligence.

Our solicitors can also:

  • Provide you with expert advice
  • Speak to your landlord on your behalf
  • Help you figure out if you are eligible to make a claim
  • Assist you with avoiding simple mistakes that could invalidate your claim
  • Handle any paperwork

Gowing Law Solicitors is here to help you with your Housing Disrepair Claim

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Gowing Law Solicitors have experienced lawyers ready to assist you with your housing disrepair claim. We understand that making any type of compensation claim can be daunting. That’s why our legal experts will be here to support you along the way. We can offer free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to work with us, we can offer our services on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always come out on top and will never need to pay any hidden fees.

Contact us today by calling 0161 464 4444, emailing or by using our claims checker. One of our lawyers will then be in contact to answer your questions.

Learn more about making a Housing Disrepair Claim

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Don’t forget that Gowing Law Solicitors updates its blog every week with brand new content. This content talks about the latest information about UK legal claims, seasonal events and our law firm’s updates. Sometimes we even host giveaways and competitions for our clients to enjoy. So make sure to keep an eye on our blog to see what we write about next. You can also take a look at our social media to see our latest videos and content. Click the links below to visit our Twitter and Facebook! We also have a brand new LinkedIn.

If you have any suggestions for our blog, feel free to get in contact by using the email We look forward to helping you soon.

See you in our next blog!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!