Fill out the form to start your claim today!

If your council home is suffering from housing disrepair, it’s likely that there are interior and exterior problems that can only be fixed by your landlord. As you are renting your accommodation, your landlord owes you a “duty of care” to ensure that your home is habitable for both you and your family. However, as you may have seen recently from the ITV housing reports, there are many landlords all over the country that are neglecting the needs of their tenants. These tenants are living in homes that are full of damp, mould and potential safety hazards. Not only does it put them at risk of a personal injury, angry questions may be raised about why they are paying rent to live in a home that exposes them to these dangers.

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we understand the frustration from our clients when it comes to their Housing Disrepair Claims. That’s why we want to provide as much support as possible to ensure they get the compensation that they deserve. It’s important you know exactly what to do if your council home is in need of a repair. That way, if your landlord ignores your request or refuses to help, you can focus on making a compensation claim. Call Gowing Law Solicitors today on 0800 041 8350 or visit our Housing Disrepair Claims page below:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What disrepairs is my landlord responsible for?

When it comes to any type of council home or property from the housing accommodation, your landlord owes the tenant a “duty of care”. This means that they are responsible for your safety whilst you live in the property. They have to make sure that uphold the UK’s health and safety standards. If your home is found to be in a state of disrepair, the council of your area must act in order to improve it. This includes:

  • Carrying out an informal negotiation with your landlord to improve your home
  • Acting out a formal enforcement to incite action from your landlord

If you are worried about the condition of your home, you can ask for the Housing Health and Safety Rating System or an environmental officer to check out your home. Your landlord is responsible for the majority of the property, including its fire safety, security, structure, mould and damp as well as the sanitation, electricity, water, gas and heating structures in the property. Your landlord is financially responsible for these structures breaking down. They need to send out the appropriate engineer or repair team in order to get the repair fixed. You should not have to pay for these repairs to be made. That’s why, if your landlord does ignore you, refuses to help or tells you that you need to pay a fee to have the repairs done, you could make a claim against them. This is due to the fact that they are guilty of negligence.

Landlord and tenant act for housing disrepair

What should I do if I believe my home is suffering from Housing Disrepair?

It’s important to let you landlord know about any problems in your home as soon as they happen. That way the problem won’t get any worse and you can get your home back in a good condition to live in. There is a chance that your landlord could ignore you and be guilty of negligence. However, if you want to build a strong case you need to show that you did everything possible to get the repair sorted. Take a look at the infographic below to find out how to do this:

Housing Disrepair Claims help infographic

Another thing that you may need to consider is evidence. Don’t forget to take pictures, videos and have witnesses corroborate your story through a statement. That way, if your landlord refuses to take any notice of the damages, you can have evidence on your side to prove that your house did suffer from neglect. Your solicitor can then get started on helping you make a Housing Disrepair Claim.

Paying rent to your landlord

What should I do if my landlord fails to help me with my Housing Disrepairs?

It’s never nice being ignored by your landlord, especially if your home is suffering from severe issues that require their urgent attention. Sometimes landlords may believe that it is the responsibility of their tenants to see to the larger problems. Whilst it is your duty to keep your home in a good living standard, larger problems should be seen to by your landlord. If they ultimately refuse to help you, it may be time for you to make a Housing Disrepair Claim. Your eligibility depends on three main factors. Take a look at the gif below to find out if you are eligible:

Housing Disrepair Claim Categories

If you have fallen into any of these categories, you could claim compensation for your damages. You were put in harm’s way due to the negligence of your landlord. That is why you deserve compensation. If you believe that you are eligible for a claim, the best thing you can do is go to an expert Housing Disrepair Claims solicitor. They can talk to your landlord on your behalf and make sure that they know they are liable for the damages in your home. A solicitor can ensure that no mistakes are made and that you get the full amount of compensation that you deserve. Housing Disrepair can have a severe effect on your mental health. So, you should take the time to recover whilst your solicitor helps move your case forward.

Gowing Law Solicitors can help you with your Housing Disrepair Claim

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, our lawyers are here to help you get the compensation that you deserve. We know that any type of legal claim can be daunting. That’s why it’s helpful to have an experienced solicitor on your side during these challenging times. Our lawyers can offer you free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your claim, they can work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always come out on top. You will never need to pay any hidden fees.

Contact Gowing Law Solicitors today by calling 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claim’s checker. One of our specialists will then be in contact to discuss your claim. Feel free to direct any questions you may have towards them.

Read more about Housing Disrepair

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Are you interested in learning more about different types of legal claims? Don’t forget that our law blog is updated every week with brand new content. You can also read about our seasonal events, updates and latest competitions and giveaways! Make sure to also send in your suggestions for blog topics into We will then let you know when we have answered your question in our blog. For more information about what we’ve been up to, you can also visit our social media. Click the links at the bottom of the page to visit them.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!