Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Housing Disrepair Claims are there to help you if you are struggling to get your landlord to make the necessary repairs to ensure you can live in your council house safely and securely. It is your landlord’s responsibility to make sure that your home is habitable for you and your family. That means if your home’s furniture, exterior or interior is in need of repair, your landlord should be there to pay for the damages.

Unfortunately, with the current Covid-19 pandemic and UK lockdown, you may be feeling concerned that it may give your landlord an excuse to avoid paying for these repairs. Worse still, you may feel nervous about making a claim altogether as the current backlog of UK court cases could delay your pay-out. We understand your concerns about making any sort of housing disrepair claim. However, we would like to let you know that even with the current pandemic and lockdown still being in swing, you still can make a valid claim. It is your landlord’s responsibility to look after your property. If it is in a state of disrepair, they need to have it replaced or repaired to ensure you and your family can safely remain in the building.

If you need any advice about making a housing disrepair claim, feel free to get in contact with us by calling 0161 464 4444 or visit our website to learn more:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

The Basics of Housing Disrepair Claims

Before we jump into Covid-19 & Housing Disrepair Claims, let’s discuss the basics of these claims. That way you can feel comfortable when you go to your lawyer for support throughout the claim’s process.

If your house falls into disrepair, it is necessary that your landlord provides financial support. That way the broken items can be replaced or quickly fixed. They need to make sure that your home is habitable and does not provide any danger to the residents living in it. Take a look at the GIF below. It details what your landlord is responsible for in your rented home:

Repair Gif for Housing Disrepair Claims

Some additional responsibilities may include:

  • Fire safety
  • Gas, electricity and sanitation regulations
  • Roof and plasterwork
  • Centralized heating and boiler work
  • Security for the house

If any of these fall into disrepair then it is up to your landlord to have it fixed. However, if your landlord refuses then they could be guilty of negligence. They owe you a “duty of care” to ensure the property can be used to house you and your family. If you suffer because of this then you could be owed compensation. That’s why you may want to discuss this further with a solicitor. After all, you could be owed between £1,000 to £20,000 depending on the complexity of your claim.

Housing Disrepair Claims Advice

What could make me eligible for a claim?

Now, the main thing you need to think about when it comes to Housing Disrepair Claims is in relation to your eligibility. Your landlord is responsible for keeping your house in a good state. That means if something breaks in your rented home or housing accommodation, it is up to your landlord to fix it. If they refuse and the house becomes dangerous or uninhabitable, this could mean that your quality of life could threatened. You deserve to live in a home where you are comfortable and safe. Instead, you may be living in discomfort or could even be putting your own health at risk.

Take a look at the infographic below to learn more about how you could be eligible for a claim:

Housing Disrepair Claim Infographic

It is UK law that your landlord keeps your rented home in a state of comfortable repair. You should not be paying for any of the repairs. If you are forced to pay for the damages then you can ask for compensation. Just keep in mind that the pay-out that you receive will not be the same as the price of a brand new object. Instead, you will be expected to have bought something second hand or at a cheaper price to replace it. That means you may receive less than you were expecting. Keep this in mind when you get started with your claim.

Eviction help

Can I make a Housing Disrepair Claim during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Yes you can! It’s important that you understand that even if you are staying at home and are not seeing people outside of your own social bubble, your landlord still owes you a duty of care. That means they have a responsibility to look after your property. They also need to make sure that it is safe to be lived in. The only difference is how repairs and maintenance will be conducted within your property.

The UK government have made it very clear that landlords should still keep their properties in good repair. In specific, they have said:

“We expect landlords to make every effort to meet their responsibilities”

Your landlord should conduct the repairs as safely as possible, especially if they need to bring contractors into your home to have the work completed. It is essential that you communicate with your landlord to ensure you both know when and how the repairs are going to take place. That way social-distancing and sanitization can be conducted effectively. You may also want to be a little more patient with their landlords as it may take them more time to get the repairs organized so it can be undertaken safely.

With that said, you, as a tenant, have the right to live somewhere safe and secure. So, if your landlord ultimately refuses to help you with your housing repairs, you have the right to make a complaint. Gowing Law’s Solicitors will be there to give you the best legal advice. That way you can get the pay-out you deserve.

Overall, we would highly recommend that you make your claim as quickly as possible, even during the pandemic. That way you can get the justice and compensation that you need to get your life back on track.

Leaving your property

Gowing Law Solicitors are here to help with Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

If you are currently living a rented council house or housing accommodation, Gowing Law Solicitors can help you with your claim. Our experts are here to give you free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to work with our lawyers, we can offer you our services on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will never need to pay any hidden fees. Therefore, you will always come out on top with your claim.

Get started with your Housing Disrepair Claim today by calling us on 0161 464 4444, emailing or by using our claims checker. One of our helpful experts will then be in contact to help you get started on your claim.

Read more about legal claims

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Don’t forget that Gowing Law’s blog is updated every week with new content. This includes new UK law blogs, seasonal events and updates about our law firm. We also create mini video content which is perfect if you are looking for fun facts about different compensation claims. Our blog and social media also talks about our latest giveaways and competitions. If you’re interested in suggesting a new blog topic, feel free to send it into

We look forward to helping you with your claim soon!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!