Fill out the form to start your claim today!

By making a Housing Disrepair Claim, you are looking to take back control of the state of your home and are making your landlord take responsibility for the negligence you have suffered from. We understand that living in a home that is full of disrepairs can be a bit of a nightmare of an experience. It’s understandable. Not only does it put you in a precarious position, but you may find that you get injured or your belongings are damaged due to the state of your home.

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we understand that the amount of stress you must be under in relation to the damages in your home. You may have been spending more time outside of your house or even be looking for alternative accommodations to stay at to avoid the problems altogether. You should not have to live in such awful conditions. That’s why the solicitors at our law firm are determined to fix your issues.

It’s time for you to make a Housing Disrepair Claim and get the compensation that you deserve. Our solicitors are here to support you and provide free advice to get you started. Why not call us on 0800 041 8350 or click on the button below for more information:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What sort of disrepairs is my landlord responsible for?

When you move into any sort of council housing or property owned by the housing association, it’s important that your landlord is held responsible for any repairs for the building or areas of the property that they own. In general, they own a large majority of the property as you are a renter. Their responsibilities include looking after:

  • Security
  • Fire safety
  • Gas, electricity, heating, water and sanitation maintenance
  • Wall and roofing structure problems
  • Garden construction
  • Damp and mould problems
  • Any furniture/ essential items that are owned by the landlord

Your landlord owes you a “duty of care”. This means that they are responsible for your safety when you and your family is living inside the property. That means any damages that could put you at risk of getting hurt both physically and mentally need to be sorted out as quickly as possible. If they don’t get these damages sorted, or completely ignore you and your messages for help, they are responsible for any injuries you may sustain. Take a look at the case study below to get a better idea of how these types of damages occur.

Housing Disrepair GIF

As you can see, John was not responsible for his damages and for the inconvenience that he was forced to endure. It was the responsibility of his landlord. As his landlord did not accommodate him properly, the problems simply got worse. That means that John should be able to make a housing disrepair claim in order to gain compensation. You can do the same if you have suffered due to the neglect of your landlord, even if you feel unsure about the extent of your eligibility. Our landlord can give you the answers that you need to move forward!

paying rent and housing disrepair claims

What could make me eligible for Housing Disrepair Claim?

If you are the victim of Housing Disrepair, it is very likely that the state of your council home has forced you to make a claim. No one deserves to live in squalor due to their landlord’s negligence. Instead, it is their obligation to ensure the house is fit for habitation. If not then they will be liable for your damages. These damages tend to fall into three categories:

Housing Disrepair Claims Infographic

Don’t worry, there is a chance that you could fall into more than one category. For instance, your home may have suffered from a mould problem that meant you could not use a certain room. However, due to the mould’s spread, it also had an effect on your asthma and you had to go to hospital for treatment. If you have more than one type of damage, don’t be afraid to discuss this with your solicitor. They understand that for a Housing Disrepair Claim, the categories of disrepairs don’t necessarily sit in stone. Instead, people tend to fall into a few categories based on their damages.

Making a claim when you dont live in the house

What sort of evidence can I use if I am going to make a Housing Disrepair Claim?

Now that you understand your eligibility, and have decided on whether or not you are going to make a claim, let’s have a chat about the type of evidence you need to prove your claim. Just like any other type of legal claim, you’re going to need the evidence to back it up. For instance, if you have been hurt in an accident, you will need to get a medical report in order to back up your injury claims.

With that said, it will not be difficult to find evidence to show that the negligence of your property was due to your landlord. You can use the correspondence between you and your landlord, especially if you can prove that your landlord did not respond to your messages. Make sure to send your landlord your complaints in writing, as well as through an email. That way you can make sure they actually get your complaints and need to acknowledge them. Additional evidence can include:

  • Photographs of your injuries or the damages in your house
  • Videos
  • Police Reports
  • Medical Reports
  • Witness Statements
  • Diary Entries
  • Financial Receipts

These are only a few examples of the type of evidence that you can collect. Once you have found the evidence, bring it to your solicitor. They can make copies and ensure that it prepared to strengthen your case. Your solicitor will then contact your landlord and their insurer on your behalf to discuss a settlement agreement. If your landlord will not work with the solicitor, there is a chance that the case may need to go to court. But this is very unlikely.

Start today on your Housing Disrepair Claim

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we are proud that we are able to help people over the UK with the housing disrepair claims. According to the English Housing Survey, there are 76,814 non-decent council houses in the UK. We want to help as many of these residents as possible to ensure that they get the compensation that they deserve. We have already helped so many people, and want to do the same for you. If you want our help, our law firm can offer free advice and consultations to get you started. Should you want to move forward with our solicitors, we can offer our services on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will never need to pay any hidden fees and will always come out on top.

Speak to our solicitors today by calling 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claim’s checker.

Learn more about making a Housing Disrepair Claim

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Don’t forget that Gowing Law Solicitors is here to help answer all of your questions. If you want to know more about making a Housing Disrepair Claim, you should visit our blog. We update it every week with brand new content about legal claims, seasonal events and our most recent information about our law firm. Occasionally, you may also see a giveaway or competition to celebrate the holiday season. If you have some suggestions for our blog, send them into We would be happy to write about them!

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog.

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!