Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Making a housing disrepair claim can be a daunting prospect for anyone who is worried about causing conflict with their landlord. Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we completely understand. If you live in a council home or property from the housing association, you will want to do your best to stay on the good side of the people who run your home. However, there comes a time when enough simply has to be enough. Recently, ITV has discovered that last year in the English Housing Survey that around 76,814 council homes are in a substandard conditions. That’s why if you have suffered from personal injuries or your belongings have been damaged due to the state of your home, it’s time for you to consider making a compensation claim.

This is where Gowing Law Solicitors can step in to help you. Our specialists are here to offer you free advice and consultations to get you back in control of your household and your life. You don’t need to feel intimidated by your landlord. Instead, rely on Gowing Law to get you the pay-out that you deserve. Call us on 0800 041 8350 or visit our website below:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What is Housing Disrepair all about?

If you are suffering from a housing disrepair, it’s likely that the property you are living in is in need of repairs. By living in rented accommodation, your landlord will be responsible for the upkeep of the property. Of course, you need to keep it clean, tidy and also alert your landlord if any repairs are needed. However, your landlord is financially responsible for sending out engineers to oversee the repair work. If they fail to do this, or outright ignore your complaints, and the problem gets worse or you experience damages as a result, you could be owed compensation.

Your landlord is responsible for:

The external and internal structures of your home (i.e. roofing or walls)
Any mould or damp issues
Fire safety
Gas, sanitation, heating and electricity maintenance

These are only a few examples of what your landlord is responsible for you in home. Don’t be afraid to come to your solicitor if you are feeling confused about your own eligibility. Your lawyer can let you know more information about their responsibilities. In general, if you live in a rented home, your landlord is going to be responsible for the upkeep of the majority of it. Therefore, if you are hurt or your property is damaged because of the housing disrepair, you could be owed compensation.

Housing Disrepair Claim eligibility

How do I know if I am eligible to make a Housing Disrepair Claim?

Before we jump into more information about making a housing disrepair claim about damaged belongings, let’s have a quick chat about eligibility in general. When you experience a housing disrepair, it should be your first instinct to go to your landlord in order to get it started. Make sure you send your complaint in writing as well as an electronic correspondence, that way you can state that you made an official complaint.

Now, there may have been some delays due to the current pandemic, but your landlord still had a “duty of care” towards you and any other residents living in your property. Now that the pandemic is easing, it should be easier for your landlord to assess the damages in your home. If they ignore you, and the problem gets worst, you could be eligible for compensation.

There are three main categories of eligibility that your claim could fall into. These are:

Housing Disrepair Claims Infographic

Don’t be afraid to gather evidence if you fall into any of these categories. You may want to consider photographs, videos, witness statements, receipts, police reports and correspondence with your landlord. These can be passed onto your lawyer and they can talk to your landlord on your behalf about a settlement agreement. If they refuse to accept the claim, there is a chance that it may need to go to court. However, in our experience, most landlords are very keen to reach an understanding with their residents. That way any problems can be worked out and both the resident and landlord can move forward with initiating changes.

Paying rent for housing disrepair

Broken Belongings: How do I get compensation for these damages?

One of the major damages that you could claim for is in relation to your own personal property. When you move into a building, a non-habitable environment could mean that your belongings are damages due to it. For instance, if it suffers from mould and damp, your clothes and any property with a fabric surface could end up being destroyed. Your landlord may give you advice to get a dehumidifier or to open the windows regularly, but sometimes it just doesn’t work. If the building itself also has structures that could cause damage to your property, such as loose flooring, exposed woodwork and nails, leaks or faulty essential items (like your cooker, fridge or toilet), you could also make a claim for that. Take a look at the GIF below for a cast study about property damage:

Housing Disrepair Gif

If you have experienced damage to your belongings, you may feel the urge to have them replaced as quickly as possible. This means that you could incur financial damages that would never have happened if your landlord had kept your home in a safe condition. Resist the urge to replace your items immediately. Instead, you can ask for compensation in order to have these items replaced. Take pictures of the damages to send to your landlord and your lawyer. If your landlord refuses to accept the damages then you could have a claim on your hand. Speak to a solicitor as quickly as possible to find out about how much you could be owed.

Will my landlord replace my damaged belongings?

Yes! Your landlord should replace your damaged belongings if it is proven that they were destroyed due to their negligence. That’s why it’s crucial that you take as many pictures as possible to show the extent of your damages. Keep in mind, however, that your landlord will not pay for a new version of the product. Instead, it is expected that a second hand replacement will be bought. Make sure to look up replacement examples and let your landlord and solicitor know how much the product is. If the product does need to be fully replaced, it’s important that you find the cheapest product possible. This may make you feel frustrated, but don’t forget that you will still be in control of which replacement is chosen. Speak to your solicitor for more information about this.

How much compensation could I get from a Housing Disrepair Claim?

Honestly, this is where things get a little tricky. For damaged property claims, it depends on the extent of the damages, how long they have been left by your landlord and the extent of the negligence. It may also depend on the extent of your own damages and whether there are other things that have happened to you. For example, this may include whether or not you experienced inconvenience in your daily life or personal injuries. The best way to find out more information on the amount of compensation you could receive is to speak to your solicitor. They can look at your evidence and your case and make an estimate. This estimate can then be used for the settlement agreement if you are happy with it. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice from your solicitor. They are there to help you get the highest amount of compensation possible.

Get started on your Housing Disrepair Claim with Gowing Law Solicitors

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

It’s time to get started on your Housing Disrepair Claim with the help of a specialist from Gowing Law Solicitors. We know that living in a council home that’s in a state of disrepair can leave you feeling angry, vulnerable and upset. That’s why our lawyers are ready to get you the compensation to improve your home or at least help you deal with your damages. We can offer you free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your claim, our lawyers can work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means there will be no hidden fees. The only reason you would need to pay our solicitors is if we win your case. That means you will always come out on top.

Contact our law firm today by phoning 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claim’s checker. From there, one of our specialists will be in touch in order to answer any additional questions you may have. They will then let you know updates about your case. Feel free to check in with them at any time.

Learn more about Housing Disrepair Claims

Blog button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we are proud to have a law blog that we update with new information every week! We know that our clients may feel uncomfortable about going into a claim without knowing the basics. That’s why we have dedicated a lot of our blogs to answering your questions about specific claims. We also write about seasonal events and our latest updates about our law firm. Occasionally, you may even find the odd competition or giveaway hosted on our social media and blog. So, make sure to keep checking in to see what we have been up to. If you want to suggest a topic for our blog, feel free to send in your ideas to

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!