Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Whether you live in a council house or a home provided by the housing association, it is likely that you may someday need to contact your landlord about Housing Disrepairs. If they fail to help you then this may unfortunately change into you looking into Housing Disrepair Claims. It can be frustrating to live in a home that is in need of repair, especially during a time like the pandemic where at one point it was legally required to stay your house. That’s why Gowing Law Solicitors is determined to help you get your repairs sorted by your landlord. Not only that but we can help you claim compensation for any additional damages experienced.

One of the things you may be wondering to yourself is what actually counts as a Housing Disrepair? There are lots of common problems that houses can experience. Your solicitor can help you understand exactly what type of damages you could claim for.

To find out more about Housing Disrepair Claims, Gowing Law Solicitors can offer you expert advice and consultations. You can call us on 0800 041 8350 or you can click the button below to visit our website:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What are Housing Disrepairs all about?

Right now, Gowing Law Solicitors can help our clients with Housing Disrepair Claims made about council houses and properties from the housing association. Now, the majority of these houses are going to be quite old. After all, the majority of them were created in the 1960’s and 1980’s! That means nowadays, there is a chance that they could fall into disrepair or even be made of hazardous material, such as asbestos. Housing Disrepairs come in many shapes and sizes. Some are more common than others, however the majority of them will fall under the responsibility of your landlord to fix.

When you move into any rented accommodation, your landlord is responsible for keeping it habitable. Of course, you need to play your own part and keep the house neat and tidy. However, if something ends up breaking or falling into disrepair, your landlord needs to be the person to get them fixed. This is due to the fact that they need to adhere to landlord safety standards and their “duty of care” towards you.

Here are some examples of the types of Housing Disrepairs that can happen to your property. Your landlord is responsible for:

Housing Disrepair Claims Examples

If you have noticed that your house does suffer from disrepairs, you need to speak to your landlord as quickly as possible. This can be through electronic correspondence or through a quick phone call. However, don’t forget to also send your complaints to your landlord in writing, aka. A letter detailing the disrepairs will serve as evidence that you notified your landlord as quickly as possible. From there, you should also look for evidence about your disrepairs. That way you can show that you were not exaggerating them. Evidence can include:

Housing Disrepair Claims Evidence

When your landlord is alerted to the disrepairs, make sure to give them some time/notice to get the repairs sorted. This may be a few weeks or a month, depending on the extent of the disrepairs. However, if your landlord decides not to respond to your complaints, this is when you may need to start looking into housing disrepair claims.

Landlord Negligence: How could I be a victim of Housing Disrepairs?

If your landlord fails to help you with your housing disrepairs, they are acting negligently. It is the responsibility of your landlord to ensure that you are living safely in your accommodation. That means that if anything breaks down, and has the potential to cause damages or injuries, they need to review the disrepairs and have them fixed. If they fail to do this, they could be liable for the damages you could experience. Examples of landlord negligence could include:

  • Ignoring your requests for help
  • Asking for you to pay for the repairs
  • Delaying repair work for no reason
  • Your landlord repairing the damages cheaply and causing more damage in the process

You need to take action if your landlord refuses to help you with the disrepairs. You deserve to live in accommodation that is habitable for you and your family. That’s why you should start looking into legal action. By making a Housing Disrepair Claim, you are holding your landlord responsible for the damages. Not only that, but you could also receive compensation for any additional damages you may have suffered.

To be eligible for a Housing Disrepair Claim, you must fall into one of these three damage categories:

Housing Disrepair Claim Evidence

You can fall into more than one category, depending on the extent of your damages. For instance, if you suffer from asthma and your house is damaged due to mould and damp, the disrepairs could not only ruin your clothes and belongings, but it could make your asthma worse. You may also find that you cannot enter certain rooms of the house, creating inconvenience for you and your daily routine. Speak to your solicitor to find out more about what you could claim as damages.

Housing Disrepair Claims: What are some of the most common Housing Disrepairs to claim for?

If you are thinking about Housing Disrepair Claims and your eligibility, let’s have a quick talk about the types of disrepairs you could claim for. Some are more common than others, however they can cause structural issues or make it very difficult for you to live your daily life. Either way, they need to be fixed as quickly as possible. If your landlord refuses to help you then you could claim damages.

Some of the most common damages include:

Common Housing Disrepairs Examples

Of course, these are only some of the most common disrepairs that could lead to injuries or damage to your belongings. If you go to a law firm about making housing disrepair claims, they will provide you with consultations, advice and will organize a triage assessor to visit your home. This assessor will keep an eye on your disrepair and create a report to discuss the type of damages in your home. They will also suggest what type of action needs to be taken. At the same time, Gowing Law’s solicitors will be working with your landlord on a settlement agreement. That way you can relax and wait for your repairs to be sorted, as well as receive compensation for your losses.

Are you ready to work with Gowing Law Solicitors on your Housing Disrepair Claim?

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

If your home is suffering from housing disrepairs, and your landlord is refusing to help you have them fixed, Gowing Law Solicitors is here to help. Not only can our team of specialists provide you with personalized advice and consultations, if you choose to work with them they can offer their services on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always end up coming out on top. There will be no hidden fees to pay. Instead, you will only have to pay your solicitor if they win your case. Therefore, you will always get a good result for trying to make a claim.

Get started today by calling Gowing Law Solicitors on 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claim’s checker. A member of our law firm will then be in touch to answer your questions and to begin your claim.

Read more about Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we update our blog every week with brand new content. This tends to be about different UK laws, seasonal events, competitions, updates about our law firm and the occasional giveaway. If you want a specific topic to be addressed on our blog, please send in your suggestions to We would be more than happy to write about your questions! You can also follow our social media below to keep an eye on what we have been up to recently.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog.

Read our previous blog button

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!