Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Housing Disrepair Claims are there to protect you and your assets if your landlord has been neglecting their responsibilities and your house has started falling apart. Well, perhaps not falling apart entirely, but has started experiencing some damages that only your landlord can fix. When it comes to the exterior and interior of your council property, you cannot fix the damages on your own. In fact, you should not be spending any money at all on your rented accommodation. Your landlord has a “duty of care” towards you and their other tenants to ensure that you can live comfortably in your council home. That’s why it is so shocking that, recently, that many families are being forced to live in .

If your home has suffered from damage due to mould and damp issues, your landlord is responsible for fixing it. Should they refuse to help then they could be liable for any physical, financial or emotional damages that you suffer. This is where you should consider making a housing disrepair claim to claim compensation for your losses. You can do this by calling our housing disrepair claims law firm at 0800 041 8350 or by clicking the button below to visit our website:

Housing Disrepair Claims Button

What are Housing Disrepair Claims all about?

When you move into a council flat or a home from the housing accommodation, you expect it to be in a good condition. That means that it needs to be habitable for both you and your family. Your landlord is responsible for the state of your home, as well as any of the following:

  • Electricity, water, sanitation and gas maintenance
  • Fire safety
  • Exterior and roof structure damages
  • Heating problems
  • Mould and damp problems
  • Security for the property
  • Broken windows
  • Carpets in a state of disrepair

These are only a few examples of the types of damages that you could encounter inside of a rented property. You may be feeling concerned about whether or not you need to pay for any fixes that occur in your home that are no fault of your own. We would highly recommend that you do not pay for them. Even during the lockdown, your landlord was responsible to make any repairs that were needed. If they refuse then they could be held liable for any damages that you suffer as a result of them, especially if you are suffering from a mould and damp issue.

English Housing Survey Help

Mould & Damp issues: Why should you be aware of this type of disrepair?

One of the most common types of disrepair, especially when it comes to council homes, is mould and damp. Mould can become a serious problem when it comes to any type of home because it is so difficult to get rid of it. You may purchase cleaning products to get rid of it, but after a few months it will just come back. Now, your landlord may give you advice on how to stem your mould problem, such as opening windows and making sure your home is not too humid. But this sort of advice is still not a way of fixing the problem.

Worse still, it may impact your quality of life, especially if you have to open your windows or not have your heating on during the colder months. You may find it very difficult to live in your home due to the mould. Take a look at the gif below to get a better idea of how a damp problem could impact you:

Mould case study gif

As you can see, Lewis suffered due to negligence of his landlord. They refused to help him and so he was forced to make a housing disrepair claim against them. Black mould can come as a result of the home being too warm and too humid. Therefore, it will need a specialist to come in and fix the problem. They will identify the issue, mark off the affected areas and treat them efficiently. Therefore, you will not need to worry about your home being uninhabitable.

If you are concerned about your own eligibility, the best way to find out more is to speak to Gowing Law Solicitors. Our law firm can help you figure out whether or not you think it is worth moving forward with your claim. That’s why we would highly recommend that you fill out our self-assessment form to get started:

Housing Disrepair Claims self assessment form

Furniture Damage & Mould Problems

Before we jump into the basics of housing disrepair claims & eligibility, let’s take a quick moment to talk about property damage. One of the biggest hazards of mould, apart from physical damages, is in relation to your belongings. Now, mould is easily spread from different fabrics. It can appear on wood and stone, however it is also very easy for it to spread to your clothes, furniture and property. If you have noticed that there is mould on your furniture, your instinct may be to immediately wash the damaged property. But honestly, it’s very unlikely that this will get rid of the problem. In fact, it’s more likely that the mould will grow back due to the conditions of your home.

If your property has been damaged due to mould, you can make a claim against your landlord for compensation. They will have to provide the funds to have the objects be replaced. Just keep in mind, they will expect you to buy them second-hand. So, be aware that they will not pay the original price of what the belongings were valued at.

Absestos problems in housing disrepair claims

What factors could make me eligible for compensation?

Mould and damp are only a few examples of problems that your classify your house in “disrepair”. Your landlord is responsible for the safety of you and any other residents in your home. If they refuse to fix your property, they could be guilty of negligence as they have gone against their “duty of care.” The three main ways that you could be eligible for housing disrepair claims are through:

  • Physical Injuries
  • Damages to property
  • Inconvenience

Physical injuries and damages to your own belongs are pretty self-explanatory. However, inconvenience may not be. When you live in your rented home, you want to relax and use as much of property as possible. Unfortunately, if some sort of damage is preventing you from living your live in relative comfort, you may be eligible for a claim. For instance, let’s say you have a mould problem in your bathroom and bedroom. You may not be happy with using the rooms as you suffer from asthma or are worried about your health. So, you end up sleeping somewhere else or refuse to bathe in your home in order to avoid worsening your health. This can show that you have been put at an inconvenience. You could use this prove that you are eligible for compensation.

Gowing Law Solicitors can help you with Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing Disrepair Claims Button

If you are the victim of housing disrepair, it may be time for you to make a claim with Gowing Law Solicitors. We understand that living in a house that is in a state of disrepair can leave you feeling vulnerable and worried about the future. That’s why our lawyers can help you with any type of housing disrepair claims. We can offer your free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your claim, we can work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always come out on top as you will never need to pay any hidden fees. We will only ask to be paid if our solicitors win your case.

Contact our law firm today by phoning 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claims checker. One of our specialists will then be in touch to discuss your claim and how you can get started.

Learn more about Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law's blog button

If you want to learn more about Housing Disrepair Claims the best place to go is our blog. Our law blog is updated every week with brand new content. These blogs are all about legal claims, seasonal events and updates about our law firm. Should you want to send us a blog topic you would like coupled, feel free to send them to You can also take part in our seasonal competitions on our blog and our social media. The links to our social media are below.

We look forward to seeing you in our next law blog!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!