Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we are determined to help our clients with their Housing Disrepair Claims all over the country. As a tenant in a council house or property from the housing association, it’s crucial that you understand what type of rights you have in your home. Like all residents, you deserve to live in an environment that is comfortable and safe for both you and your family. Your landlord is responsible for the upkeep of your home and needs to stick to the health & safety guidelines of their contractual agreement. Even during the pandemic, they were still responsible for the safety of their tenants. They need to ensure that your home is fit for purpose and does not contain any major disrepairs that could cause you harm.

If you are thinking about making a housing disrepair claim, it’s important that you understand all of your rights as a tenant. That way you can claim for a high amount of compensation and also get all your disrepairs sorted. You can do this by speaking to Gowing Law Solicitors about your housing disrepair claim. Our specialists are here to help you and offer you free advice and consultations.

Get in touch with our housing disrepair claims solicitors today by calling 0800 041 8350 or by visiting our website below:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Housing Disrepair Claims: What sort of rights do I have as a tenant?

Before we discuss disrepairs in general, let’s answer the main question of this blog: What are your rights as a tenant in a council house or home from the housing association? When you move into any property, it’s important to understand that your landlord will have a set of rules they will need to follow to keep you safe. These health and safety regulations are focused on:

  • Fire safety
  • Electrical safety
  • Gas safety
  • Security
  • Building safety

If a disrepair happens then your landlord will have to have it fixed as quickly as possible. They are under legal jurisdiction to ensure that your home is completely free of hazards or future dangers. As a tenant, you need to hold your landlord to account. If you notice a disrepair then you will need to report it immediately. That way you can give your landlord notice to have the disrepairs fixed as quickly as possible.

Additional rights as a tenant include:

Tenant Rights

As you can see, you have a range of rights that mean that you can live safely in a home without your landlord taking advantage of your contract. However, there may be times that your home falls into a state of disrepair. It’s up your landlord to have them fixed. They owe you a “duty of care” as you are both under contract. Of course, you will need to give them a few weeks to get the repairs sorted. However, if they fail to help you then they could be guilty of negligence. This is when you need to start thinking about making a Housing Disrepair Claim.

Housing Disrepair Claim facts

How could my landlord be guilty of negligence?

As we stated before, your landlord is responsible for the upkeep of your house. Although you need to keep it clean and tidy, it is their responsibility to ensure that you are safe when you enter the house and carry out your daily life in it. If they know of a problem that needs to be fixed, but keep it from you, you could end up getting hurt. It’s important that when you notice a disrepair in your house that you alert your landlord both through electronic correspondence, i.e. a phone call or email, and written correspondence, such as a letter. Your landlord will need to respond and come over to view the damages for yourself. They will then get the disrepairs sorted by hiring the right help.

Unfortunately, there are times when your landlord may end up acting negligently, therefore you will need to start considering making a housing disrepair claim. Some examples of negligence could include:

  • The landlord ignores your request for help
  • Your landlord asks you to pay for repairs
  • The landlord tries to repair the damages and makes them worse
  • Your landlord acts violently or aggressively towards you

You need to make a Housing Disrepair Claim if your landlord is refusing to work with you on getting the repairs sorted out. Your solicitor from Gowing Law will be there to support you and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.

Housing Disrepair Claim and eviction

How could I be eligible for a Housing Disrepair Claim?

If your house falls into disrepair, your landlord is responsible for having them fixed. However, there are times when they may end up making the disrepairs worse. In fact, in some cases, you may actually end up getting hurt or experiencing a personal injury. To make a Housing Disrepair Claim, you need to fall into at least one of three categories. These categories are:

Housing Disrepair Claims Infographic

You could be owed compensation if you fall into any of these categories. You can fall into more than one. For instance, let’s say that you suffer from asthma. Right now, your home has a mould and damp that has caused your asthma to get worse. This is an example of a personal injury. The mould has spread so far in your home that you cannot access the bedroom. It has damaged your furniture and clothing. Therefore, you could claim for property damage and inconvenience.

If you are wondering what type of claim you could make, the best person to speak to is your solicitor. They can discuss the type of claim you are going to make and how much you could be owed as compensation. They can also help you get the disrepairs sorted by a qualified engineer and speak to your landlord on your behalf. The following process will then take place if you want to move forward with your claim:

Assessor Steps for Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law Solicitors can help with your Housing Disrepair Claim

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Gowing Law’s expert solicitors are here to help you claim compensation for your Housing Disrepair Claim. We understand that it can be extremely frustrating to live in accommodation that is riddled with disrepairs. That’s why our experts can provide free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your claim then our solicitors can work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will not need to pay any hidden fees. Instead, you will only need to pay your solicitor if they win your case for you. Therefore, you will always come out on top!

Contact Gowing Law Solicitors today to find out more about Housing Disrepair Claims. Call 0800 041 8350, email, or use our claim’s checker. One of our specialists will then be in contact to answer all of your questions. Feel free to ask them anything. After all, our team are happy to help!

Learn more about Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law's Blog Button

We understand that you may want to learn more about housing disrepair claims. That’s why we would highly recommend checking out Gowing Law’s blog! We add to it every week with new information about UK law, seasonal events, updates about our law firm and the occasional giveaway/competition! If you would like to suggest a topic for our blog, feel free to send it into One of our specialists will then write up the blog and let you know when it has gone online. You can also sign up to our newsletter! Just put your email into the button below:


You can also follow our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn by clicking on the buttons at the bottom of the page. We update them with helpful tips, video content and so much more. Follow our socials now to keep in the loop with what Gowing Law Solicitors has been up to recently.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Read our previous blog button

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!