Fill out the form to start your claim today!

By making a housing disrepair claim, you are taking back control of your home and are ensuring you get the property repairs you need from your landlord. Your landlord is legally required to make sure that your home is habitable. That means if any damage happens to the interior or exterior, they need to be the ones to pay for repairs. You should not be funding any repairs in your rented accommodation. Unfortunately, not all landlords are going to uphold this legal requirement and may refuse to provide you support. This is where Gowing Law Solicitors can step in to help you. That way you can understand whether or not you could make a compensation claim due to their negligence.

We understand that making any sort of housing disrepair claim can be daunting. You want to keep on good terms with your landlord, therefore, you may be considering just paying for the repairs yourself. However, we would recommend that you don’t do this. You could get a pay-out between £1,000- £20,000 depending on the extent of your damages. Gowing Law’s expert solicitors can speak to your landlord on your behalf and help you establish why you are eligible to make a claim. Click the link below to visit our housing disrepair claim or call us on 0161 464 4444.

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What is your landlord responsible for in your home?

If you live in a rented property, such as a home from the housing association or a council house, your landlord has a responsibility to make sure your house remains in a safe and habitable condition. That means if there are any damages to the interior or exterior, it is their responsibility to ensure that it is repaired in a timely manner. That way the living standards of your home will not be affected. Living in a house that is in need of repairs can have a severe impact on your mental health and quality of life. You may even be considering finding a new property to live in. If you are going to do this, you need to make sure that you make your claim before you move out. Sadly, you cannot make a housing disrepair claim if you have already moved out.

With that said, here are some examples of what your landlord is responsible for repairing in your rented accommodation:

Responsible for Housing Disrepair Claim Infographic

If your landlord refuses to pay for repairs in your rented accommodation, you could be eligible for a compensation claim. However, it’s important that you and your solicitor work together to establish your claim. This is a lot simpler than you think, especially if you have the right evidence to prove that you experienced damages as a result.

evicted from your home after a claim

What do I do to establish my Housing Disrepair Claim?

You will be happy to know that making any sort of claim, even during the pandemic, is not difficult if you establish your case. There are two criteria you need to fulfil if you are going to make a claim. The reason you need to do this is to prove that your landlord is guilty of negligence. They owe you a duty of care. If they do not try to do everything reasonably possible to get your house in a fit state to be lived in by you and your family, you could be owed compensation.

The two criteria to establish your claim are:

  • The damage to your home was completely avoidable

This means that your landlord could have stopped the damage. It would be easy enough to maintain your home’s installations, including your gas, heating, electricity and water. However, they didn’t and therefore were negligent.

  • Your landlord knew about the disrepair

In some cases, your landlord may have been able to foresee that the property they rented out was in need of repairs. You may have told them about the potential damages frequently, however they did not listen to you. That means when the damages began to damage your quality of life, they were guilty of negligence.

If you fall into either of these categories, your landlord could be liable for damages. Should they refuse to pay for the damages to improve your home, you should move forward with your housing disrepair claim. That way you can get your compensation pay-out as soon as possible.

housing disrepair claim rent help

How else could I be eligible to make a compensation?

If you are considering making a housing disrepair claim, you may also want to consider what sort of damages the state of your home has left you with. Now, when it comes to any sort of claims, the damages your experience are the key to getting a higher pay-out. Damages may include:

  • Physical damages
  • Emotional damages
  • Financial damages
  • Loss of opportunity
  • Technology/equipment damages

Most of the time, these types of damages are used with personal injury claims, however, you can do the same for housing disrepair claims. Take a look at the GIF below to get an idea of how your damages could affect your claim, as well as how much you could receive as a pay-out:

Housing Disrepair Claim GIF

Should you fall into any of the categories mentioned, it is essential that you have the evidence to back up these statements. Your evidence can include:

  • Photographs of the damages (i.e. your home or injuries)
  • Videos of the damages
  • Witness statements
  • Diary entries
  • Medical reports (i.e. about your physical injuries)
  • Receipts

Make sure to collect your evidence before you speak to your solicitor about making a claim. This will make it easier for both of you. It will certainly help when your solicitor speaks to your landlord or begins the necessary paperwork to get you the pay-out that you deserve.

Contact Gowing Law Solicitors about your Housing Disrepair Claim today!

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Living in a home that is need of some serious repairs can have a serious impact on you. Your mental and physical health could be damaged! That’s why our solicitors are here to support you throughout this difficult time. We can offer your free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with your claim, we can work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always come out on top and will never need to pay any hidden fees.

Contact our law firm today by calling us on 0161 464 4444, email or by using our claim’s checker. One of our lawyers will then be in contact to get you started on your claim. Let them know if you have any questions!

Read more about UK legal claims

Gowing Law's Blog Button

In our blog, you can learn the latest information about many different types of compensation claims. This includes personal injury claims, tax claims, immigration and visa assistance, will-writing and business interruption claims. We also update our blog with new seasonal content, giveaways and competitions! So, make sure to keep an eye on it to learn what we have been up to. If you want to suggest a blog topic for us, feel free to send in your suggestions into our email Make sure to also follow our social media below.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog.

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!