Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Obtaining a UK student visa is not as easy as it may first appear. We understand that the current UK lockdown may be making things difficult for you to apply for a visa in general, but Gowing Law’s expert immigration solicitors are here to help you! It’s important to understand what type of visa would best suit your needs, as well as a general time frame around how long it will take to be eligible for a visa. There are many different tiers of student visas, that’s why it’s essential that you get some legal help to pick out the best visa for you.

Gowing Law’s team can help you understand what sort of UK student visa you need. All you need to do is get in contact with us to get started! Call us today on 0800 041 8350 or use the button below to visit our immigration webpage:

UK Student Visa Button

What sort of visas could I be eligible for?

Before we jump into more information about your eligibility for a UK student visa, one of the things we want to bring up are the different types of visas in general. Whilst your thoughts may be on coming over solely for academic study, there may be others types of visas that could get you temporary access to the UK. Of course, if you want to stay for a longer period of time then you will have to find out more information about the indefinite leave to remain, aka. a settlement status. However, if you only need to be in the UK for a certain amount of time, you may want to consider one of the following Visa types:

Different types of Visas

As you can see, there are many different types of visas that you can choose from in order to remain in the UK. Each of these visa categories have subsets that will change how long you could stay in the UK for. Additional conditions for your visa may depend on:

  • Why you’re interested in living in/coming to the UK
  • The country you were born in
  • Your skill-set
  • How long you want to stay in the UK for

Make sure to speak to your solicitor before you decide specifically on the type of visa you will apply for. They can give you advice based on your situation. That way you can make the right choice for you, and any family that could be involved in process.

Timescale of UK study visa

Applying for a UK student visa: The Tier System

If you are going to apply for a UK student visa, it’s important to understand that there are different types of student visas that could be eligible for. The type of visa you select will depend on the length of time you want to spend in the UK and your own qualifications. It’s very likely that you will also need a conditional offer from a course sponsor (i.e. a university, college or specialist course provider). The tier system is based on point-scoring categorisation. The level you receive depends on your age, fluency of language and your skill set. It may also include why you are visiting the UK. For a UK student visa, it is very likely that you will fall under Tier 4.

If you feel a little unsure about which tier would best suit you, speak to your solicitor for more information about each of them. They can help you sort our your eligibility and what additional qualifications you may need to have a successful application.

language skills and UK study visas

Tier Four: UK Student Visa

If you are interested in studying in the UK at a university or college level, there are a few categories that you must tick in order to move forward. These are:

  • Have a Tier 4 sponsor give you a conditional offer for a course in the UK
  • Be over the age of 16
  • Be able to read, write and speak English at a specific level (Or take a test to prove your ability)
  • Have the right amount of money to pay for your course and to support yourself whilst you are in the UK

There are additional options available to you if you need extra support whilst you are studying in the UK. If you are worried that you won’t fulfil all of the necessary criteria, talk to your solicitor about how you can change this. It may just be that you need some advice. This may include the best ways to improve your language skills or how you can get financial support for your time during the UK. Just remember that if you do not fulfil all of the criteria, it is likely that it may take longer for you to secure your visa.

Short-term study visas

Tier 4: Student Visas for Children

If you have children that are under the age of 18, you may be considering whether or not your family could qualify for study outside of a university. Instead, you may want them to attend a school in the UK. This is possible but your children will need to apply for a different type of study visa. They must also:

  • Be accepted into a school or scholarly establishment that has a Tier 4 sponsor license
  • Be between 4-17 years old

As parents, you must prove that you have enough funds to support your children whilst they are in the UK. Keep in mind that if you are intending to have your children looked after by a UK carer, you will need to pay around £560 per month for caring costs. If you intend to be with your child in the UK, and they are under the age of 12, then you will need to prove that you will be able to fund around £1535 a month for every month you intend to stay in the UK.

If you have any concerns about how you can help your children obtain a UK student visa, your solicitor will be there to give you personalized advice. That way you can figure out what is best for you and your family.

Speak to Gowing Law Solicitors today about a UK student visa!

UK Student Visa Button

If you are ready to get started with the visa process, our immigration specialists will be here to help. Our solicitors can offer you free advice and consultations to get you started. If you are happy to move forward with our solicitors on your case, we can support you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means there will be no hidden fees. Instead, you will always come out on top.

Contact our solicitors today to get started! Call us on 0161 8080 060, email or use our claims checker. One of our friendly team members will then be in contact to answer any additional questions you may have. We are here to provide as much support as you need!

Learn more about UK student visas

Blog Button

If you’re ready to learn more about immigration applications, why not click on our blog? We can help you understand the basics of different legal claims before you even get in contact with us! We talk about personal injury claims, tax claims, financial mis-selling and will-writing. Our blog also details our latest updates about our company and any holiday content. This includes information about our latest competitions and giveaways. If you want to see a certain topic covered in our blog, let us know! You can send in your suggestions to

Below you can also find the links to our social media. Make sure to follow it to see our latest video content, blogs and giveaways.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!