Fill out the form to start your claim today!

A marriage tax claim is the perfect way for couples to get a discount on their tax in the new year. 2021 is all about new beginnings and trying new things. However, it is important that we keep safe at home as the third lockdown kicks in. That’s why we would highly recommend that the first thing you do in 2021 is to sort out your marriage tax break. You could be missing out on a discount that could held put more money in your pocket. It’s estimated that around 4 million married couples and civil partners do not realize that they could get a tax break. That means that around £1 billion is being lost out on! That’s’ why it’s worth finding out more about marriage tax claims.

Gowing Law is here to help you understand more about marriage tax claims. It’s important that you know the basics behind any sort of tax claim, that way you can know exactly how much you could get in compensation. Better yet, you can also know whether or not you could be eligible to get the discount that you deserve. Get started by using the button below to visit our Marriage tax claims page or call Gowing Law on 0800 041 8350 to get started.

What is a Marriage Tax Claim?

Before we dive into whether or not you are eligible to make a claim in 2021, let’s have a quick look at what a marriage claim is actually all about. Marriage tax claims are also known as a “tax break.” Instead, of getting a direct pay-out, the tax break will help you get a future discount on the tax you pay. This means it can help you save money. You can spend this extra cash on yourself or you can use it to build up a small nest egg. The choice is yours!

Have a look at our useful video below to get an idea of what a marriage tax claim is. Don’t worry, we’ll explain it a little more after you have watched it through to the end.

A marriage tax claim will allow the lower earner in your partnership (i.e. marriage or a civil partnership) to transfer around 10% of their unused personal savings allowance (PSA) over to their partner. They can then use this transfer to reduce their own income bill by around £250. This is because the amount of basic tax for 2020/2021 is classified as £12,500. Therefore, you could transfer over around £1,250. Just keep in mind this may differ depending on your own incomes and the tax year you may backdate and add to your claim’s amount.

The example below should give you a better idea on how to calculate your own marriage tax claim. But the best way to understand how much you could be owed is to speak to a marriage tax claim solicitor. They can help you understand the amount you could claim.

Marriage tax claim example gif

Am I eligible to make a marriage tax claim in 2021?

With all the uncertainty in the world right now due to the pandemic, you may feel a little unsure about whether or not making a marriage tax claim is the best move for you right now. It’s completely understandable. However, we would like to assure you that marriage tax claims are very similar to PPI tax claims.

When you make a marriage tax claim, you are making it based on the tax year that you are in. Each tax year will have a different amount that you can claim for. You can have a successful tax break in 2021 and our solicitors can help you achieve it. As mentioned previously, the amount you could transfer over this year could help reduce your partner’s tax by £250. You can backdate this for up to 4 years. That’s why it’s important to get your tax claim in as quickly as possible. The longer you leave it, the more likely that you will miss out on backdated tax. Over the last four years, you may be able to claim for the following tax:

  • £250: 2020-2021
  • £238: 2018-2019
  • £230: 2018-2017
  • £220: 2016-2017
  • £212: 2016-2015

If you want to know how much you could claim for your own tax in both 2021 and in previous years, speak to one of Gowing Law’s experienced solicitors. They can help you come up with an estimate before they start their communication with HMRC.

How do I make a successful marriage tax claim?

Now that you understand that you are eligible to make a marriage tax claim in 2021, it’s important that you understand the criteria that you need to fill in order to make a successful tax break. There are three main criteria that you and your partner need to fulfil:

Marriage Tax Claims Infographic

The reason why one partner must be earning basic tax, whilst the other does not have to pay tax, is because there needs to be an excess of PSA. Unfortunately, if you fall into the highest band of tax then you will not be eligible to make this claim. In order to make a tax break claim, the lower earner of the partnership must transfer their excess of PSA to the higher earner. That will mean that the higher earner will be able to pay less on their tax for the rest of the year. Even better, you will be able to re-claim the excess that you paid previously on your tax. Gowing Law Solicitors can make sure you get your overpayments back in a timely and efficient manner.

Marriage Tax Claims partner passing

What should I do if my tax bracket changes during my claim?

It’s understandable that during the pandemic you may feel a little nervous about making a claim if you are between jobs. We are all currently remotely working due to the lockdown. However, some people may be experiencing job changes, therefore the amount they earn could push them into a different tax bracket.

If you end up making a marriage tax claim, and the amount of money and tax you pay changes, it is essential that you get in contact with your solicitor as quickly as possible. A change in your wage and tax could mean that your claim could be invalidated. Therefore, you will need to keep in contact with your solicitor and let them know if any changes happen. You may also want to ask them for more information after you receive your pay-out, just in case your changing circumstances affect any future payments or discounts.

self employed marriage tax claims

Can I make a marriage tax claim if I am retired?

Yes! You can. If you are still paying a certain amount of tax and have a pension/earn an income, you could still be eligible to make a marriage tax claim. As long as you are married/ in a civil partnership and fit into one of the two aforementioned tax brackets, you can earn a tax break with the help of an experienced solicitor. Feel free to ask them for more information about how your retirement may affect your claim.

Keep in mind as well, Gowing Law also helps with mis-sold pensions. If you think you have a claim, feel free to get in contact with as soon as possible. We would be more than happy to help you get the compensation you deserve.

How long will it take to make a marriage tax claim?

Honestly, this is the type of question that cannot really be generalized. Every legal claim has a different timeline. Some people may have more complicated claims than others, depending on the financial details of the client. For instance, if someone is changing jobs then this could change their tax bracket and make the claim more complex. However, if we were to talk about a general time line, it should take around 6-8 weeks for you to have a successful claim.

Keep in mind that due to the pandemic, there may be some delays due to the lockdown and also UK court delays. We are continuing to work remotely, therefore we will do our best to keep you updated with any problems that we encounter. But we do ask that you are patient with our lawyers during this difficult time. Gowing Law will always do our best to support all of our clients as much as possible.

successful claims for Gowing Law Solicitors

How much could I get from my marriage tax claim?

One of the best things about a marriage tax claim is that the amount you could get depends entirely on your own financial circumstances. Whilst you can get a discount on your current tax, you could get a pay-out for the excess tax you have been paying over the last few years! Make sure to speak to your lawyer about how much your backdated claims could be. This could add to the total you are owed, so it’s worth making sure that you are getting the biggest pay-out possible.

Can a solicitor help me with my claims?

Although you can make a marriage tax claim on your own, having a Gowing Law solicitor on your side can make the tax process so much easier. Our lawyers are tax specialists that know exactly how to get your pay-out to you as quickly as possible. With their help, all simple mistakes can be avoided and they can make sure that your claim is not invalidated. It can be easy to lose your concentration when filling out a tax form. That’s why our solicitors are here to help. They will do the hard work for you whilst you relax. Not only can they work with HMRC on your behalf, but they will ensure that you will get the biggest pay-out possible so that you can pay less tax in the future.

Sometimes we all want advice on how we can proceed with our legal claims. It can be difficult to know how to move forward with a claim. That’s why you can also come to us for advice and we can help you figure out whether or not you want to make a claim. Our solicitors can talk to you about your personal circumstances and make sure you get advice tailored to your needs. That way you can make the best decision for you and your finances.

Gowing Law Solicitors can help you with your marriage tax claims

Marriage Tax Self Assessment form

Gowing Law has marriage tax specialists that are here to help you get the pay-out that you deserve. We understand that the last year has been rather rough, that’s why we want sure we can help you start the New Year off on a good note. Our tax specialists can offer you free advice and consultations to get started. If you are happy to work with us, we can offer our services on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means there will be no hidden fees and you will always come out on top! You will only need to pay our lawyers if we win your case.

Contact us today to get started on your marriage tax claim. You can call us on 0800 041 8350, email us at or use our claims checker. We have also simplified the marriage tax claims process by creating a self-assessment form. It only takes a few seconds to fill out to get started. So, why not begin your claim today? Our staff are ready to help you as soon as we hear from you.

Read more about UK law from Gowing Law Solicitors

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Here at Gowing Law, we are extremely proud of our blog. We endeavour to update it regularly with the latest legal content. This includes the basics of law claims, UK legal updates and seasonal events, such as competitions and giveaways. We have additional blogs that talk all about marriage tax claims. Click on the button above to visit our blog page and scroll to the content you want to read. If you cannot find the topic you want, all you need to do is write in. You can then let us know what you want us to talk about. We would be more than happy to write a blog about your questions.

You should also consider following our Twitter and Facebook. Our socials are updated with the latest competitions and information about personal injury and tax claims. Click the links below to find out more.

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!