Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Marriage tax allowance claims are here to help couples get a refund if they have been paying too much on their tax. Here at Gowing Law, we understand that your taxes can be stressful. You and your partner probably have different wages and can afford certain things together. For quite a while, Gowing Law has been helping people recover their PPI tax from HMRC. Now, we want to branch out in order to help our clients with additional forms of tax.

Our marriage tax allowance claims specialists are here to provide you with the support that you need in order to make a tax claim. Gowing Law can provide you with free advice and consultations to get you started. Before you contact us, make sure to read this guide to help you understand the basics. That way you can understand everything you need to know about this type of claim before you start to make your own. For more information, click the link below:

marriage tax refund button

What is a marriage tax allowance claim?

If you are eligible to make a marriage tax allowance claim, it means that you can make a transfer of 10% of your own personal tax allowance to your partner/spouse. The amount for 2020/2021 is £12,500, meaning that it is likely that you could transfer around £1,250 to your partner. The 20% of the allowance is then used as a reduction for the highest earner. It’s a great way to lower the highest earners income bill by at least £250. Though keep in mind that this may change depending on the tax bill.

Take a look at the example below to get a better idea of how this type of claim works:

Case study of a marriage tax allowance claim

Can I backdate my marriage tax allowance claim?

Yes, you can! You can backdate your claim for up to 4 years, meaning that you could claim for all the years that you have missed out on. The different years include:

  • 2019-2020: £250
  • 2018-2019: £238
  • 2017-2018: £230
  • 2016-2017: £220
  • 2015-2016: £212

It’s really important that you consider how many years back that you could claim your tax for since 2016. This could increase the amount that you are owed. Your solicitor can help you figure out how much you could be given as a pay-out.

tax code image

How could I be eligible for making a marriage tax allowance refund?

Now, the marriage tax allowance actually came to fruition on the 6th April 2015. That means that if you have a claim then you should be able to backdate it by at least four years. Keep in mind that each of the years will have a different amount that you could claim for.

One of the main reasons why this is so important is that you could claim for all of the dates if you end up backdating your tax. Ultimately, you could end up with around £1,150 that is paid to you as a cheque. Take a look at the criteria below to see if you are eligible to make a marriage tax allowance claim.

marriage tax allowance claim infographic

Am I guaranteed to receive a pay-out from Marriage Tax Allowance claims?

This depends on your own individual circumstances. The amount of money that you receive as a pay-out from your marriage tax allowance claim depends on the wages of you and your partner. If you are struggling with the math, don’t worry too much! One of Gowing Law’s highly trained solicitors can help you with an estimate of how much you could be owed. They can also write to HMRC on your behalf to make sure that no mistakes are made. Paperwork can be tricky for any type of financial mis-selling claim. That’s why our trained lawyers are here to help you.

Can I claim a marriage tax allowance if I am retired?

Yes! No matter how old you are, there is a chance that you could have been paying too much on your tax if you have been married. As long as you have a personal allowance, and one of the couple is paying tax, even if your partner has sadly passed away, you can still make a claim if the partner had some sort of personal allowance.

Can I make a marriage tax claim if I am currently living abroad?

This is another common question that our clients tend to have. Most people have the common misconception that if they are no longer living in the UK, it is impossible that they will be able to claim back the money that is owed to them. However, if you got married in the UK, and are still getting a personal tax allowance from the UK government, you could make a marriage tax allowance claim. The only difference is that your solicitor may need to fill out some different paperwork.

non-taxpayer information reminder

What should I do if I am divorced?

Unfortunately, if you have recently been divorced then you are not eligible for a marriage tax allowance claim. If you have already been claiming for this type of tax, then you will have to alert the government about your change in circumstance. This is the same for if your wage changes or if you simply don’t want to claim for the tax anymore. Gowing Law’s solicitors can help you sort out the claim for you and work on your behalf to ensure that there are no mistakes made.

How will my marriage allowance be paid to me?

Now, when you get paid your marriage tax allowance, you have to understand that the money is actually used as tax relief for your partner who is eligible for paying their basic tax. Instead, they will be paying a smaller amount of tax. This is because it will be based on a smaller amount of their salary. The money they get from their claim will be received when they receive their weekly/monthly pay-check.

However, if you have back-dated your marriage allowance over the last few years, you should be able to receive it as a cheque through the post.

What should I do if I am not working?

Don’t worry! If you are not actually working right now, you can still get a marriage tax allowance claim. Instead, you must be the person to transfer 10% of your personal allowance to the working partner. If they are a basic rate taxpayer then you should be able to claim your tax.

Can I still claim marriage tax allowance claim if I am self-employed?

Yes! Many people seem to think that if they are not employed by someone else then it’s impossible to claim for any type of financial benefits or problems, such as PPI tax claims. As long as one of the partners is a basic tax payer and has a wage between £12,501 and £50,000, and the other earns less than £12,500, you should be eligible for a marriage tax allowance claim without any problems. You may also want to consider a self-assessment tax return or have one of our solicitors give you some more information about that.

high rate payer for marriage tax allowance claims

Will I have to pay any tax on this type of claim?

Definitely not! Your marriage allowance is a way of actually reducing the amount of tax that you have if your partner isn’t using all of their personal allowance. If you do end up getting taxed then you will need to alert your solicitor as quickly as possible. Clearly, a problem has occurred and our lawyers will quickly sort it out as fast as possible.

Can I claim for a marriage tax allowance claim if I am on maternity leave?

Again, you can actually make a claim if you are currently on maternity leave if your wage falls under £12,500. You should still be able to transfer 10% of your own personal allowance to your partner.

Why should I make a claim with the help of a solicitor?

Although you can make a marriage tax allowance claim on your own, it can be extremely complicated. You have tricky paperwork to fill in and there is a high chance that you could make a mistake that could invalidate the claim. This is where your solicitor can step in. They can:

  • Double check all of your mathematical calculations
  • Keep your evidence safe so it can be organized
  • Fill out any difficult paperwork
  • Contact HMRC on your behalf
  • Give your free advice and consultations
  • Keep you updated about the status of your claim

Having the assistance of a marriage tax allowance claim solicitor can make sure to keep you on track with the claim. That way if any problems arise then you can know that you have specialist experience on your side. They will make sure that you get the pay-out that you deserve.

tax break information

How much do marriage tax allowance claims cost?

No, you don’t have to pay any hidden fees when you make a claim with Gowing Law Solicitors. All of our claims are sorted on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will not need to worry about any upfront costs. You will only need to pay a fee to our solicitors if you end up having a successful claim. That means that you will always come out on top and will never need to pay more than you have to.

How long will it take to make a claim?

We understand that your time is precious. That’s why we endeavour to handle your claim as quickly as possible. Keep in mind with the current Covid-19 situation, there may be delays due to social distancing and new safety timetabling policies, but we will always do our best to keep you in the loop about what is happening.

Remember, that every situation is difficult. If you claim is more complicated than others then it will take longer. Feel free to ask your solicitor for information about a potential timeline.

How do I make a marriage tax allowance claim?

We would advise that you fill out our claims form to get started. It only takes 30 seconds and then one of our claims specialists will be in contact as quickly as possible. To fill out the form, we need to know:

  • Your marriage status
  • Your income status
  • The income status of your partner

That’s literally it! Once we know these crucial details we can work with you to ensure that you get the highest pay-out possible. Keep in mind that your solicitor may ask you some additional details to make sure that the claim runs smoothly. Make sure to have your own paperwork ready, for instance proof of your wage or your partner’s wage.

Gowing Law Solicitors are here to help!

marriage tax refund button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, our clients are our priority. That’s why we are determined to help you get the highest pay-out possible. We can offer you free advice and consultations to get you started. If you want to move forward with your claim, we work on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always get the best outcome, even if you do not win your case. There are no hidden fees.

Contact Gowing Law today by calling 0800 041 8350, email or use our claims checker. You can even use our LiveChat if you need a faster way to get in contact with our staff. From there, one of our specialists will be in touch to let you know the status of your claim and to ask you more information.

Want to learn more information about Marriage Tax Allowance claims?

law blogs button

We keep our legal blog updated with the latest information about UK law and different types of compensation. We upload new blogs every week and also talk about Gowing Law’s latest updates and competitions. Gowing Law is even creating a new loyalty scheme that will thank you for working with Gowing Law. Make sure to keep an eye out for it and check out our socials as well for new content.

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
12th Floor, St. James’s Tower, 7 Charlotte Street, Manchester M1 4DZ
We're here to help!