Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Housing disrepair claims are there to help you if your landlord is refusing to pay for interior or exterior housing repairs. Now, whether you are a new renter or you have had several apartments throughout your life, if your home does start to show signs of disrepair, it is up to your landlord to make the appropriate repairs to ensure that it is inhabitable. Now, we understand that during the Covid-19 pandemic, renting a home or at least maintaining it without exposing yourself to people outside of your bubble. However, if your house’s state of disrepair has made it difficult to live in your house safely, your landlord is responsible for fixing it. If they refuse to fix it, they could be liable for the damages.

Before you start on your own housing disrepair claim, it’s important that you understand the basics. That way you can understand your eligibility and how you can get a decent pay-out. This is where Gowing Law Solicitors can come into play. If you need to speak to one of our of solicitors, contact us today by calling 0161 464 4444 or by visiting our claim’s page below:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What is Housing Disrepair all about?

Usually, if your house has fallen into a state of disrepair, it implies that it is not suitable or safe for your or any other people to live in. This is because the interior or exterior of the house and the furniture provided by the landlord has been damaged or is in need of a repair. If you are renting a property from a landlord, your landlord is responsible for any damages that occur whilst you live there. If your landlord refuses to help fix the damages, you could claim for compensation if your living conditions has severely affected your quality of life.

Here are some examples of what your landlord is responsible for in relation to your property:

Landlord responsibilities Infographic

It is the legal responsibility of your landlord to ensure that your house is kept suitable for people to live in. They are not allowed to pass on the cost to you, however keep in mind that they can only initiate the repairs if you have informed them that the property is damaged. If you notice a problem within your rented property, speak to your solicitor as soon as possible to get it sorted. Should they refuse to make the necessary repairs, they could be accused of negligence and therefore will need to pay you compensation.

Landlord facts about Housing Disrepair Claims

What sort of damages could make me eligible for a claim?

Repair GIF

As you can see, your landlord has a number of responsibilities when it comes to the maintenance of your home. You deserve to live and rent out a property that can make you feel safe and relaxed when you come home from your busy day. If your home is in a state of disrepair, this can make you feel uncomfortable and out of control, especially if you have no heating, running water or electricity. Worse still, you may even get injured whilst trying to live in your home. This is where you could be eligible when it comes to making housing disrepair claims. Here are the most common reasons why you may want to make a compensation claim:

Personal Injuries

If you have been hurt by the damages in your property, or have started to suffer from ill health due to the housing conditions, you could be eligible for a claim. Keep in mind that the amount you receive from this type of claim will depend on the extent of your injuries and how long your injuries have caused you pain and suffering. Make sure to keep evidence to prove that you have been affected badly by your accident. That way you can also recover additional damages like:

  • Emotional Damages
  • Financial Damages
  • Loss of Opportunity
  • Loss of Technology

Gowing Law’s expert solicitors know a lot about personal injury claims, so make sure to discuss this with them before you move forward with your claim:

Claims Checker Button

 Damage to belongings

One of the things that could happen to you is in relation to your own personal belongings. If your house is prone to mould, damp or infestation, it is likely that they things you have brought into the house could get damaged. For instance, mould could affect your clothes, bedding or carpets. If the house is prone to leaks, this could also discolour the walls and weaken the floor surfaces. To keep your house comfortable, you may be forced to pay for these things out of your own pocket.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to get compensation to cover the price of the damaged objects if they were new. That is because you will be expected to buy new items at the cheapest price. You will also need to find evidence. Your evidence will prove that you suffered from any financial losses due to the damages of your home, or even due to the illnesses that you have experienced due to the house’s condition.

Evidence examples for a housing disrepair claim


This type of claim can be a bit trickier, but it can make you eligible for a pay-out. If you have been inconvenienced by the disrepair to your property, it is likely that you could get a pay-out if your quality of life has been affected. An example of this could include you being unable to keep food in your fridge or freezer because it did not work properly. Another example could include being unable to sleep in your bedroom because of a mould problem. If you slept in the room this could affect your health. You may have tried to air out the mould or your house. However if nothing is working, you may be forced to sleep somewhere else. That means you could get a partial rebate, depending on how long you were forced to stay in this situation and how it affected your life.

Claim's Form Button

How much compensation could I get from making claim?

The amount you get from any sort of our housing disrepair claim depends on your own personal circumstances. This includes how bad the disrepair was. It will also include how much time has passed since you first reported it to your landlord. You may also need to consider whether or not the disrepair has caused any personal injuries. An additional reason may be because it has forced you to move out to find other accommodation. This is because it was just not possible to live in your rented accommodation.

With that said, the best way to determine whether or not you could be eligible for a high compensation pay-out is to speak to our lawyers. Claim pay-outs can range from £1,000 to £20,000. So it is well worth finding out more information!

Paying Rent during a Housing Disrepair Claim

How can a Housing Disrepair Claims Solicitor help me with my claim?

For Gowing Law Solicitors, we endeavour to help as many clients as possible with their housing disrepair claims. Unfortunately, we cannot assist with private properties rented from Landlord. However, we can help clients with claims against landlords who rent council housing or are part of a housing association. Please keep this in mind if you are going to make a claim with our law firm.

With that said, our solicitors can help you get the compensation that you deserve. It can be incredibly stressful to deal with landlords. That’s why our lawyers are prepared to communicate with your landlord on your behalf. We can also assist with:

  • Handling any paperwork
  • Giving you expert advice
  • Helping you avoid any mistakes that could invalidate your claim
  • Keeping you updated about the progress of your claim
  • Assisting with setting up a settlement agreement date

The best way to find out more about how we can help you is to get in contact with our law firm. We can offer your personalized advice that will get you on the right track with your claim. That’s why it’s crucial that you get in contact with us as quickly as possible to get started.

Gowing Law Solicitors are here to help with your claim

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we are determined to assist you with your housing disrepair claim. That way you can get the pay-out that you deserve if your landlord has been negligent. We can offer you free advice and consultations to get you started with your claim. If you are happy to work with our professional lawyers, we can offer our services on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will always come out on top and will never need to pay any hidden fees.

Contact us today by calling 0161 464 4444, emailing or through our claims checker. One of our specialists will then be in contact to answer any additional questions you may have.

Learn more about Housing Disrepair Claims

Gowing Law's Blog Button

If you want to learn more about housing disrepair claims, our blog is the best place to visit! We update is regularly with new content about UK law, seasonal events and our own latest law firm announcements. Keep an eye on it to see what we talk about next! We also update our social media with competitions, giveaways and interesting video content. Make sure to give us a follow. If you would like to suggest a blog topic, feel free to send it into

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog!

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!