Fill out the form to start your claim today!

When you make a Housing Disrepair Claim, you are looking to get the damages in your home completely fixed. You may also be asking for compensation if your landlord has caused you injuries or damages due to the property’s disrepairs. It’s understandable that you may feel a little nervous about this. It’s not every day that you make a legal case. That’s why Gowing Law’s legal team are here to help you get the pay-out and repairs that you deserve. You didn’t ask to be put in a residence that was full of disrepairs. In fact, your landlord may have hidden the disrepairs from you when you first moved into the residence. However, now they are impossible to ignore. In fact, they are now affecting your daily routine. When the disrepairs start to do this then it is known as “inconvenience.” You could be owed compensation for this!

Throughout the pandemic, your landlord still had a responsibility to keep your home safe and habitable for both you and your family. If they fail to do this then it is time to make a Housing Disrepair Claim. You can do this by contacting Gowing Law Solicitors on 0800 041 8350 or by visiting our website below:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

What counts as Housing Disrepair?

When you move into a new council house or property from the housing association, it’s crucial that you check it over before you move in. That way you can ask for any damages to be fixed by your landlord before you actually move into your new home. Your landlord is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of your household. You are in a contract with them as a tenant. Therefore, they need to make sure that you are safe. This is because they are bound by a “duty of care” and are responsible for your safety. Some additional responsibilities include the maintenance of:

Housing Disrepair Claim and Landlord Responsibilities

As you can see, your landlord is responsible for a lot of housing disrepairs that could cause problems in your property. If you notice any disrepairs that appear then you need to alert your landlord as quickly as possible. It is their responsibility to have them fixed in order to make sure that you are safe. You need to give them notice to ensure that they have time to look into your disrepair. However, if you notice disrepairs in your home, follow this process to make sure that they are sorted in an efficient amount of time:

how to let your landlord before making a housing disrepair claim

If your landlord refuses to help you with your disrepairs, this is when you need to start looking into making a Housing Disrepair Claim. After all, your landlord is supposed to be looking after you as long as you remain in your contract. However, if they fail to do this then they are not adhering to their “duty of care”. It means you could claim compensation for any damages that you experience.

How could my landlord act negligently?

As you can see, your landlord has a lot of responsibility when it comes to your rented property. Essentially, they owe you a duty of care because they own your property. If any disrepairs do occur, your solicitor needs to have them sorted as quickly as possible. Of course, you will need to give your landlord some notice, but they could be acting negligently if:

  • They ignore your requests for help.
  • They try to fix the damages themselves and end up making them worse.
  • Your landlord threatens you or acts aggressively towards you.
  • Your landlord requests that you pay for the damages yourself.

If the disrepair goes on for too long and your landlord refuses to help, it’s time for you to make a Housing Disrepair Claim. A solicitor from Gowing Law can assist you and ensure that you get the repairs sorted in a timely manner.

Housing Disrepair Claim and contracts

What could make me eligible for compensation from a Housing Disrepair Claim?

This is where we get into what inconvenience is all about! Now, when you make a Housing Disrepair, there are going to be three categories that will make you eligible for compensation and the much needed repairs in your household. These are:

Housing Disrepair Claim Infographic

As you can see, each of these categories refer to either your property or your body being damaged due to the disrepairs in your home. For inconvenience, it basically means that your daily routine is interrupted and you find it hard to keep up your morale about living in your house. It’s the feeling you get when you question why you should keep paying rent if your home is full of disrepairs.

Inconvenience could mean that you are unable to access essential areas of your house, meaning that you are unable to undertake essential activities, such as cooking, cleaning, bathing or sleeping. This could make it feel difficult to keep up with work or social commitments due to the stress. Of course, there could also be a chance that all three eligibility factors happen to you. Here’s an example of how this could work:

Housing Disrepair Case Study

No matter what you apply for, whether it is inconvenience or something else, your solicitor can help you understand what you could be owed through a Housing Disrepair Claim. It’s essential that you get started on it as quickly as possible. You will not be evicted if you decide to make a Housing Disrepair Claim. Instead, you will only be evicted if you have not been paying rent. Your landlord could potentially make a counter claim against you. If you are worried that your landlord is too aggressive to be reasoned with, your solicitor can speak to them on your behalf.

Can I solely make a claim based on inconvenience?

Yes, you can make a claim just for inconvenience. This is due to the fact that your main concern is actually going to be having your disrepairs in your home sorted. Therefore, if the disrepairs are causing inconvenience and are preventing you from living out your daily life, you could make a claim for them. It could get to the point where the inconvenience could cause severe emotional damages, including:

  • Stress
  • Loss of Sleep
  • Anxiety
  • Depression

If you need to go on medication, or perhaps already have a pre-existing condition that has been worsened due to the situation you’re currently in with your landlord, you should make a claim as quickly as possible to get your repairs sorted. Just don’t forget that you will need evidence to back up your claim. This can be:

Evidence for Housing Disrepairs

How much will I receive for my Housing Disrepair Claim?

The amount of compensation you receive for your claim will depend on the extent of your landlord’s negligence, how long the disrepairs have been left for and whether or not the disrepair has caused any injuries. The more damages you have suffered from, the more likely it is that you will receive a higher amount of compensation. From our own experience, you could be owed anywhere from £100 up to £20,000. To get an estimate for your claim, speak to your solicitor. They can look into your damages and calculate how much settlement you could potentially be entitled to. That way you can decide for yourself as to whether or not you believe it is worth moving forward with your claim.

Start on your Housing Disrepair Claim with Gowing Law Solicitors

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Now that you are ready to get started on your Housing Disrepair Claim, Gowing Law Solicitors can provide you expert advice and free consultations to help. We understand that making a claim on your own can be a bit daunting. That’s why our solicitors will be here to support you every step of the way to ensure that you can get the compensation that you deserve. We can offer our services on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will never need to pay any hidden fees. You will only have to pay our solicitors if they actually win your case. Therefore, you will always come out on top.

Contact Gowing Law Solicitors today to get started on your Housing Disrepair Claim. You can do this by calling 0800 041 8350, emailing or by using our claim’s checker. One of our team will then answer any additional questions you may have about your case.

Read more about making a Housing Disrepair Claim?

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Are you looking for more information about making Housing Disrepair Claim? You should visit Gowing Law’s blog page for more information. Not only do we update it every week with brand new content, occasionally we even host a competition or seasonal event! You can find more information about Gowing Law’s most recent updates and facts about a range of different legal claims. If you would like to see a certain question answered on our blog, write into our content team through the email You can also sign up to our weekly newsletter below:

You can also follow our social media pages to see what we have been getting up to recently. We update it with fun video content and our latest blogs. As Halloween is coming up, make sure to keep an eye out for a Halloween competition! We are sure there will be a fun prize to win in the near future.

Gowing Law looks forward to seeing you in our next blog.

Read our previous blog button

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!