Fill out the form to start your claim today!

Over the last year, you have most likely been spending more and more time at home in order to avoid spreading Covid-19. The lockdown has meant that not many businesses, aside from essential shops, have been open. Therefore, it makes sense that in order to stay at home, you want it to be as comfortable as possible for both you and your family. If your home is suffering from disrepair then this could make it practically uninhabitable. Now that the lockdown is easing, it will be easier for your landlord to visit your home in order to make repairs. But to be frank, they should have still been maintaining the upkeep of your council home during the lockdown. If this do not do this then you could be suffering from housing disrepair

If you have suffered from a housing disrepair, it is likely that your home is suffering from damages that only your landlord can fix. Whether you live in a council home or a housing association, Gowing Law Solicitors can help you get the compensation that you deserve. That way you can feel secure for the wellbeing of both you and your family in the future. To learn more, why not call us on 0800 041 8350? You can also find out more about housing disrepair claims by clicking the button below:

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Housing Disrepair: What is my landlord responsible for?

To start with, if your home has fallen into disrepair, it usually means that an essential part of it is broken and is need of your landlord’s help to fix it. Usually, this is an area of your house (either inside or out) that needs to be maintained. That way it won’t affect your quality of life, or your ability to actually live inside of the residence. If your rented property is not suitable or safe for people to live in, it can be counted as a housing disrepair, and you could make a housing disrepair claim. Take a look at the gif below to get a better example of what could befall a renter in their home:

Housing Disrepair GIF

As you can see, the disrepair of certain areas of your home falls to your landlord to fix. Of course, you need to be able to keep up with its general upkeep (such as its cleanliness and tidiness), however bigger issues must be solved by the person who owns the property. If your home becomes uninhabitable or starts to affect your quality of life, you could be owed compensation for your damages. Take a look below to get a better idea of what your landlord is responsible for in your home:

  • Fire safety
  • Gas, electricity, sanitation and water repair and maintenance
  • Mould and damp issues
  • External damages to the property’s structure
  • Roof and plasterwork repair
  • Security upkeep

If your home needs an improvement with any of these issues, then these could be classed as housing you could be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim against your landlord.

Damages to rented property for claims

What would make me eligible to make a claim?

Even during the pandemic, your landlord was responsible for keeping your house in a suitable condition for people to live in. If they failed to adhere to their “duty of care” that means that they could be liable for any damages that you experienced. This includes liability for your “quality of life”. For instance, if you rented a council house and the heating did not work, this could affect your mental and physical health if you were cold and did not have the means to warm up. It may also make you feel angry as you may be considering why you should pay rent for this accommodation in the first place.

With that said, there are three main ways that you could be eligible for compensation. Take a look at the infographic below to get a better idea of these categories:

Housing Disrepair Eligibility Infographic

Don’t forget that when you are thinking about the types of damages that you have experienced, you can claim for both emotional and financial damages, as well as physical damages. Let’s say that you are already suffering from anxiety and depression. If you are living in uncomfortable accommodation that is in need of repairs by your landlord, this could worsen your condition. Speak to a solicitor from Gowing Law to confirm what you could classify as a damage. This could add to the amount of compensation that you receive.

Landlord evictions from the property

What sort of evidence can I use to prove my claim?

Now that you understand how you could be eligible for a claim, it’s important that you learn more about the evidence behind your overall case. You need to show that you were a victim of your landlord’s negligence. If you do not have any evidence then it will simply become a case of ”he said, she said.” By providing evidence, you are proving that your home is in need of repairs. Your landlord should have provided the support (and funds) to have the repairs made. In addition to this, if any of your belongings have been destroyed due to the disrepair of the house, they will need to be replaced.

Here are some examples of the evidence you could use to prove the disrepair and your need of compensation from your landlord:

  • Photographs
  • Videos
  • Witness Statements
  • Medical records
  • Police records
  • Receipts
  • Diary Entries
  • Communications with landlord

Keep all of this evidence safe. You can then give it to your solicitor to organize before a settlement agreement is reached. Your evidence will be used for this settlement agreement, so make sure you provide as much as possible!

Start on your housing disrepair claim with Gowing Law Solicitors

Housing Disrepair Claim Button

Here at Gowing Law Solicitors, we pride ourselves on being able to provide excellent legal advice to all of our clients about the housing disrepair claims. We understand that living in unsuitable accommodation can leave you feeling uncomfortable and angry at your landlord. That’s why we are determined to help you get the compensation that you deserve. You can come to us for free advice and consultations to get started. If you are happy to move forward with your claim, we can work with you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means you will never need to pay any hidden fees. We will always be upfront about our costs and you will only need to pay our solicitors if they win your case. Therefore, you will always come out on top.

Contact Gowing Law Solicitors today to get help with your housing disrepair claim. You can call us on 0800 041 8350, email or us our claims checker. One of our team members will then be in contact to help answer any of your questions.

Learn more about housing disrepair claims in our blog

Gowing Law's Blog Button

Don’t forget that Gowing Law’s blog is updated every week with new content for our clients! We want to make sure you know all about the basics of legal claims before you make your own. So, keep checking our page to see what we have uploaded. We write about legal claims, seasonal events and updates about our law firm. Occasionally, you may even catch the odd competition or giveaway to celebrate a holiday. So, make sure you keep your eyes peeled to get ready to join in or follow our social media. You can also suggest blog topics to us by writing into

We look forward to seeing you in our next blog.

Gowing Law Twitterfacebook link for Gowing Law

LinkedIn Button

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0161 464 4444
Ivy Business Centre, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BG
We're here to help!