Fill out the form to start your claim today!

What can I claim for if I have been the Victim of a Criminal Injury?


If you have been injured as a result of a criminal act you may be able to claim compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). Individuals who make these claims may have been the direct victim of, for example, an assault, sexual abuse or rape. Your injury could also have been sustained when the individual was attempting to help the police after a crime had been committed. Relatives of a person who has died as a result of injuries can also make a claim.

In all cases, incidents must have been reported to the police at the earliest convenience for our solicitors to potentially proceed with your case. Claims for compensation must be made within two years of the date in which the incident took place. However, exceptions are made in some circumstances so we do advice that you speak to our solicitors who may still be able to take on your claim and/or provide you with legal advice.


What you can claim for:

  • Physical injuries
  • Disabling mental injuries
  • Sexual or physical abuse
  • Loss of earnings and expenses


A disabling mental injury is when your injury affects your day-to-day life such as at work or in your relationships. Mental injuries must be diagnosed by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.

You can apply for compensation for loss of earnings or paid expenses if you have had to have any adaptations to your home or mobility aids as a result of your injuries. You can also claim for damage to any physical aids in the attack such as glasses.

To be eligible to claim for loss of earnings or expenses, you must have been employed at the time of the crime or for the 3 years immediately before the accident date. If you were not working, you could still be eligible to claim if you were unable to work, retired, in full time education or a carer for someone. You must have also not been able to work for 28 weeks or longer to be eligible.


While it is possible to make a claim with CICA yourself, Gowing Law will make sure that you recover the maximum compensation possible under the terms of the Scheme. All our claims are funded by a no win no fee basis, so there is nothing to pay in the event that your application is unsuccessful. In the event that your application is successful, your contribution will be capped at 25%. There is NO requirement for ATE or any other similar insurance for CICA cases

At Gowing Law we have a dedicated and sympathetic team ready to advise you. Call our team on 0161 464 4444 for advice about making a claim today!

Statistics we're proud of

At Gowing Law, we always put our clients first, this means that we have a great relationship with our Clients and they rate us very highly. See our statistics below!


Would recommend us to
family or friends


Won every day for our
happy clients


Would use us
in future

Starting your claim is easy!

We'll review your details

We'll call you back

Authorised & Trusted

Gowing Law are a professional law firm that specialises in the personal injury sector of the industry. Gowing Law are Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Gowing Law are trusted by the people who they have helped in sucuring the compensation they deserve, with fantastic reviews across all review sites including Trustpilot & Google Reviews.

Gowing Law is law firm based in Manchester but offer their legal services nationwide. We specialise in the personal injury claims and our team of solicitors have the experience and expertise needed to handle your case and help you through the claims process.

Get in touch

P: 0800 041 8350
12th Floor, St. James’s Tower, 7 Charlotte Street, Manchester M1 4DZ
We're here to help!