Staff were cleaning up after a busy Friday nights trading at a fast food outlet.
The cook was walking back to the kitchen from the pot wash area over a floor that had just been wet mopped by another employee. As he walked past the deep fat fryer, the cook suddenly slipped on the still damp floor. He instinctively reached out to try and break his fall, pulling over the electric deep fat fryer in his panic. The fryer toppled over, spilling its entire contents, 35 litres of boiling hot oil, onto the cook and the floor. As the oil came into contact with the water residue on the floor, thick black smoke was produced, which set off the smoke alarms, adding to the extremely frightening situation. Surrounded in hot oil, the cook couldn’t get up from the floor. Each time he tried he slipped back. Eventually the trainee assistant manager succeeded in sliding him out of the spilt oil, burning his own hands in the process.
The cook suffered life changing burns to his ankles, legs, buttocks and chest and needed skin grafts. Another employee received treatment for burns to her leg and ankle, again needing skin grafts.
The company were prosecuted by Manchester City Council and fined £60,000 after pleading guilty to two health and safety offences and ordered to pay costs of £16,000.
At Gowing Law Solicitors our goal is to handle your case quickly and efficiently, so you can get the funds you need to rebuild your life. Fill out the contact form and we’ll contact you shortly to set up a consultation. You can also call us at 0161 808 8888 to talk to one of the Team today.